How to open items directly in the list?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
abr01

How to open items directly in the list?

Post by abr01 »

Hi!

I couldn't find the right setting for this. Whenever i click items, like a MP3 file, a .lnk is created, instead of opening the song in foobar2000. Something similar happens, if i click on a .jpg, where i would expect to have the jpg file opened in my standard viewer. What is the correct setting?
NotNull

Re: How to open items directly in the list?

Post by NotNull »

abr01 wrote:Hi!

Whenever i click items, like a MP3 file, a .lnk is created, instead of opening the song in foobar2000.
What happens when you do the same in File Explorer?
abr01

Post by abr01 »

It just opens ok. In the tested case the MP3 plays correctly in foobar.
therube

Post by therube »

Thinking it is not going to apply, but check...

Tools | Options -> General --> Keyboard
Show commands containing: Open (or maybe also, Custom?)

Then look through those entries & see if anything odd shows up in the Shortcuts area?

---

I think I meant to say...

Tools | Options -> General --> Context Menu

& check your settings there, in particular for, Open (files).
Default is: $exec("%1")
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

- Beside checking that, you can also check File | Create shortcut. It's under Menu:Tools > Options > General > Keyboard.
There should b no shortcuts defined for this.
- What happens when you right-click your mp3 (in Everything) and choose Open?

Man, this is really intriguing me. I would go crazy if that happens on my system ... Is someone messing around with your computer?

You can also post your (zipped) Everything.ini here. That makes it easier to analyze your settings. There is no sensitive data in there if you are not using an ETP server (and if you're wondering what an ETP server is .. you're good) and don't have folders like "I hate puppies" under Menu: Tools > Options > Indexes > Exclude
Everything.ini is most likely located in the folder "%APPDATA%\Everything", but you can always use Everything to find it. Just don't double-click it (yet) :)
abr01

Post by abr01 »

Hmm.

@therube, i found nothing suspicious looking there, @NotNull, this spot is also clean, nothing there. Here's the content of my .ini file:

; Please make sure Everything is not running before modifying this file.
[Everything]
; settings stored in %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini
app_data=1
run_as_admin=1
allow_http_server=1
allow_etp_server=1

The link created by the way points to

C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\recent

if that's helpful. But i don't think, that anything malicious is happening here. Maybe i should consider to reinstall the program?
therube

Post by therube »

Here's the content of my .ini file
There has to be more.
And if not, then maybe that is the problem.
froggie

Post by froggie »

The Everything.ini you posted is the one that resides in the directory that Everything.exe is in. As NotNull said, there is another Everything.ini in %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini . Just use Everything to search for Everything.ini to find it.

Take a look at that one. It has about 700 lines in it.
therube

Post by therube »

Oh, that's what it does?
One small one in the directory where Everything.exe is & one large in in %appdata%?
(I've never used the installer, nor never set Everything to use %appdata%, so I've never had anything in %appdata%.)

And I would never have guessed 700+ lines, but sure enough, it is.

---

edited above: One small one in the directory where Everything.exe
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

abr01 wrote:

Code: Select all

[Everything]
app_data=1
run_as_admin=1
allow_http_server=1
allow_etp_server=1

if that's helpful. But i don't think, that anything malicious is happening here. Maybe i should consider to reinstall the program?
Ahh. things are getting clearer now .... (even without the right Everything.ini ..)

Those shortcuts you are seeing are perectly normal. It's Windows' bookkeeping of the files you opened recently (you can see those (somewhere) in the startmenu.

What I noticed in your INI, is that you are running Everything as an admin (run_as_admin=1).
Files you open and programs you start from within Everything will then also run as administrator. You very likely don't have the needed mp3/jpg fileassociation for this admin user (you probably don't have problemsopening .txt files)

Solution:
Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General and
- disable Run as Administrator
- enable Everything Service
abr01

Post by abr01 »

Yep, that was it. Thanks, guys! Don't know, why i had changed it to run in admin mode, nor that it wouldn't play in that mode. But it works now. 8-)
NotNull wrote:
abr01 wrote:

Code: Select all

[Everything]
app_data=1
run_as_admin=1
allow_http_server=1
allow_etp_server=1

Ahh. things are getting clearer now .... (even without the right Everything.ini ..)

Those shortcuts you are seeing are perectly normal. It's Windows' bookkeeping of the files you opened recently (you can see those (somewhere) in the startmenu.

What I noticed in your INI, is that you are running Everything as an admin (run_as_admin=1).
Files you open and programs you start from within Everything will then also run as administrator. You very likely don't have the needed mp3/jpg fileassociation for this admin user (you probably don't have problemsopening .txt files)

Solution:
Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General and
- disable Run as Administrator
- enable Everything Service
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

abr01 wrote:Yep, that was it. Thanks, guys! Don't know, why i had changed it to run in admin mode, nor that it wouldn't play in that mode. But it works now. 8-)
You're welcome! Glad this one is sorted out (couldn't wrap my head around it at first)
Thanks for reporting back..