Display descript.ion's file

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
jjk

Display descript.ion's file

Post by jjk »

It would be nice if we could see a descript.ion file (if existing) attached to the current file. Descript.ion is a 4dos file born to describe some files of a directory. And I use it very often in Total Commander or any compatible other file managers.
What do you think ?
ovg

Re: Display descript.ion's file

Post by ovg »

There is nothing to do with Everything.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/previ ... ows-vista/
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (53.18 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
jjk

Post by jjk »

No, I don't speak of zip/rar files descriptions. I speak of 4dos descript.ion. Google it to see what I mean.
Anyway, thanks for your answer.
ovg

Post by ovg »

descript.ion - is usual plain text file. It doesn't related to neither Winrar nor Google. :mrgreen:
Is this better?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (118.8 KiB) Viewed 6515 times
jjk

Post by jjk »

Yes, it is better.
But what I want is to display (in a popup for example) the description of the current file.
Say we have 2 files described in some directory. File1.ext is described as "My file one", and file2.ext is described as "My file two". So the directory contains a (eventually hidden) file named "descript.ion".
This descript.ion file's content is :

Code: Select all

File1.ext My file one
File2.ext My file two
Now I select directory\file2.ext. I want Everything able to display in a popup "My file one", not the entire content of descript.ion.
Another possibility would be to have an extra column in Everything window, containing only "My file one" front of file1.ext, and "My file two" front of file2.ext. And why not ability to sort on that extra column, and even to search in that column.

Name             Description
----------------------------------------
File1.ext        My file one
File2.ext        My file two
I hope it is clear now.
ovg

Post by ovg »

Ok, I see you point now.
jjk

Post by jjk »

Hi, David, what do you think of my wish ? Perhaps for 1.5 ? Or not ?
void
Developer

Post by void »

This might be possible with IColumnProvider support which is planned for Everything 1.5.

You might be able to select the descript.ion column to show the text for each file.

I'm not sure if a IColumnProvider has been implemented for descript.ion files?
jjk

Post by jjk »

Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately I think that IColumnProvider does not know descript.ion column because this one is not a file property.
As I said above, with some file managers you can describe any file by adding (or editing) a line in a particular file named descript.ion.
That file belongs to the folder of the file you are describing.
In https://www.4dos.info/4tools.htm you'll see all the program managers and others which support 4dos (JP software now) descript.ion

For example, with Total Commander, I can very easily attach some text (I enter it in a little popup) to describe any file. When I copy or move the file, its description is also copied or moved.
Some other tools exist to describe files, but 4dos description is so far the simplest and best one.

Suppose I want to describe somefolder\file.ext as "A very good file". I do it inside Total Commander for example. When it is done, somefolder contains a file named descipt.ion (it is prehaps hidden). This file contains at least this line :

"file.ext" A very good file
Because iColumnProvider does not match, I think that to display the description of somefolder\file.ext in Everything, we have to search somefolder\descript.ion (if it exists), then read all it lines. Finally if some line begins by "file.ext", then we have to display the end of that line, in this case

A very good file
should be displayed. And better :

file.ext
A very good file
If iColumnProvider does not match, will it be possible to run a script which does previous task ? Even if text is displayed out of Everything.
Thanks in advance.