Simple explanation to run Eveything

General discussion related to "Everything".
wdc202

Simple explanation to run Eveything

Post by wdc202 »

I am a novice. And, try as I can, I am baffled on how to use Everything. The help menus are just too terse and demanding for me.

Is there a URL that explains Everything Search for raw beginners?

I don't need to learn all the bells and whistles. I just want to know how I can find files (on my W10 pc) that contain a specified word or phrase .... and I don't want to fool with the MS Cortina gadget to do that.

Thank you for handholding here. .... wdc
therube

Re: Simple explanation to run Eveything

Post by therube »

Type in a part of the file name that you are looking for.
Anything else is just gravy.

Various help topics sticky'd, http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5.

http://www.voidtools.com/faq/

http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

@wdc202
If I'm not mistaken, this is excatly what the developer works on currently.
See in the new Everything 1.4.0.713b Beta,
Menu: Search > Advanced Search.
Does it help?
aussieboykie

Post by aussieboykie »

A few suggestions to hopefully improve your experience.
  1. Tools --> Options --> History and check both options under Search History. Once you have done this you will be able to use a drop down at the right of the search field to recall previous searches.
  2. Tools --> Options --> Results and check Sort date (and uncheck Sort size). This is a matter of personal preference but I almost always want to see recently modified items first.
  3. Browse the rest of the options to see if anything leaps off the page for you.
  4. In the search field, the default is AND so if you type MICKEY MOUSE both terms have to be present to match.
  5. Use ext:xls;xlxs;xlsm (for example) to limit matches to the listed extensions. This can be combined with other terms.
  6. Use the pipe symbol if you want OR - e.g. DONALD|DUCK. You can combine AND and OR - e.g. ext:doc;docx DONALD|DUCK.
  7. Use the NOT symbol to exclude something - e.g. !ext:lnk to exclude shortcuts. This can be combined with other terms.
  8. Use dm:today or dm:thisweek or dm:thismonth, etc., to limit matches. This can be combined with other terms.
  9. Use file: to limit matches to files - i.e. folders will be excluded. This can be combined with other terms.
Hope this helps. Sample search screen grab...
Sample search
Sample search
everything-03.jpg (63.94 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Regards, AB
wdc202

Post by wdc202 »

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Just to confirm: I understand that Everything does not search for a string within a file but that capability is in the works. Do I have that right? ...wdc
froggie

Post by froggie »

wdc202 wrote:Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Just to confirm: I understand that Everything does not search for a string within a file but that capability is in the works. Do I have that right? ...wdc
No, it is available. Version 1.4.0.713b,see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5121