Color labels

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
zuzu_kuc

Color labels

Post by zuzu_kuc »

Hi,
its posible to create a color label for files/folders ? Same like in TTCMD?
Or add some special column with some atributtes?
My goals is:
if i find some picture and i will use it somewhare in my graphics i want to know this file is used, because in folder is many many pictures. in my screen is what i do now in TTCMD, i select a file and set some description rules like:
if in description is "g", set color label green - only for this file
if in description is "v", set color label violet - only for this file
etc..

thank you.
Attachments
color_labels.png
color_labels.png (11.77 KiB) Viewed 187 times
void
Developer

Re: Color labels

Post by void »

nod5

Re: Color labels

Post by nod5 »

I think zuzu_kuc asked about setting a color for individual files, one by one.
That seems different from the current color filters which applies a color to all files of a specific type.

I also think It would be useful to have a quick way to add/remove a a label to individual files so I'll add some thoughts here.

The label could be a special line color or a symbol/emoji at the line's left edge.

One use case is when looking through lots of files and the goal is to select a few of them from different folders and later copy the files to a new folder. We can currently search for the first file, copy it to a target folder, search for second file, the copy it to the target folder, ... and so on.

With the requested label feature we could instead search and label repeatedly until all desired files have the label. Then type some new function like label: to show all labelled files. That makes it easy to select all and copy to a folder.

The labels could be temporary and get cleared when the Everything process closes. That would make them similar to the temporary line highlights/labels that many code editors have.

Edit: Reading the color filters page more carefully I realize that it does support coloring specific single files. I'll post some further ideas there.