Everything 1.5a 1.5.0.1330a does not (always) reflect changes

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
kazzybash

Everything 1.5a 1.5.0.1330a does not (always) reflect changes

Post by kazzybash »

hi,

it must have been discussed here before, but I cannot find a message about it: my instance does not reflect all changes. I just now deleted a number of folders from disk (and bin) and they remain in the database as if they are still around.

I got all settings in the gui set to update (both generic and concerning the disk the files were on in this instance). This happens more often. Restart (without rebuild) did not update/reflect actual state. No filters, macros, etc in place.

Where to start solving (without rebuilding, which is always a possibility of course, as it was in this situation)?

Thanks in advance, regards, Kazzy
raccoon

Re: Everything 1.5a 1.5.0.1330a does not (always) reflect changes

Post by raccoon »

Does the program titlebar say "[Administrator]" at the top?

Are all of your indexes located in the Indexes > NTFS section, and nowhere else?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Have you paused updates under the Index menu?

Is something stopping the Everything Service?
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Everything Service. (was this square-checked?)
  • Click OK.

Are you excluding any files/folders under Tools -> Options -> Exclude?
-If a file/folder was excluded, and should now be included, it may never show in your index.
kazzybash

Post by kazzybash »

Thanks to both of you for the swift and extensive replies. Here are my answers:

-Does the program titlebar say "[Administrator]" at the top?
no, it does not
-Are all of your indexes located in the Indexes > NTFS section, and nowhere else?
yes, they are
-Have you paused updates under the Index menu?
no, I have not
-Is something stopping the Everything Service?
In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
Click the General tab on the left.
-Check Everything Service. (was this square-checked?)
This was black/square-checked. Changed to hook (what is this called in English? 8-) ) now.

Let's see if this is the culprit.

Don't know why this setting changed. Possibly during install. I do update the program when a new version comes out.

Kind regards, Kazzy
void
Developer

Post by void »

The service not being installed correctly, or not running will definitely cause Everything to not see changes.

The question is now: Why was the service not installed correctly or running?

If this happens again, could you please:
Check if the Everything Service is running (Start -> Services -> Everything -> Status should be Started)

It the Everything Service crashing?
Do you have any Everything dmp files?
There would also be crash report in your Event Viewer (Start -> Run -> eventvwr -> Windows Logs -> System -> Error)
kazzybash

Post by kazzybash »

Hi David,
-The service not being installed correctly, or not running will definitely cause Everything to not see changes. The question is now: Why was the service not installed correctly or running? If this happens again, could you please: Check if the Everything Service is running (Start -> Services -> Everything -> Status should be Started). It the Everything Service crashing? Do you have any Everything dmp files? There would also be crash report in your Event Viewer.
Thanks for your reply. I am also interested to understand what happened. I do not have a dumpfile and checked for crash reports, to no avail.

Question on my part: does the tickbox (which as said was black) reflect a situation with the Everything-service (does it 'report' as it were), or does it work one way only: it sets the behaviour of the Everything-service and leaves it at that?

I am under the impression that the service is not crashing (if I am not mistaken Everything did keep generating updates to latest modified files for instance), but that somehow something went wrong in a recent installation process of the latest update. But it is, I admit, guessing.

Will post more in case I would find more.

Thanks again, regards, Kazzy
Last edited by void on Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed formatting
void
Developer

Post by void »

Question on my part: does the tickbox (which as said was black) reflect a situation with the Everything-service (does it 'report' as it were), or does it work one way only: it sets the behaviour of the Everything-service and leaves it at that?
The Everything Service setting in Everything shows the current state of the service.
So if you where to manually delete the Everything Service, this setting would be unchecked.

In other words, there's no real setting in Everything.