Search within files?

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Sparky

Search within files?

Post by Sparky »

Are there any plans to add the ability to search for text within files?
David
Developer

Re: Search within files?

Post by David »

I do have plans for limited file content searching.

However, I would recommend alternative software for searching file content as this is not something that "Everything" is designed to do.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

David wrote:I do have plans for limited file content searching.

However, I would recommend alternative software for searching file content as this is not something that "Everything" is designed to do.
Which particular utilities would you recommend for this? I'm particularly interested in ones that are portable. Thanks
Function

Post by Function »

I know that locate32 has a feature to do old-school search within files as an option in one of the tabs (but the files aren't indexed). It would be great if Everything allowed for a something along those lines
David
Developer

Post by David »

Try Copernic Desktop Search or Google Desktop Search for indexing file content.

Searching file content (no indexing) with "Everything" is on my wish list.
webmage

Post by webmage »

I have to agree with you David. Everything has already saved me a few hours of time in a little less than two weeks.
I can leave it open all day as it uses only 24-30megs of ram.

If it had search within files it would become cumbersome and slow and take up tons off ram.
Those are the reasons I do NOT have google destkop search, the new windows search or copernic.
Maybe when i get 16GB ram and a terrabyte of storage, I'll use one of those.

For now, Everything is beautiful at what it does.
Compact, Fast, Efficient.
jjk

Post by jjk »

David wrote:Searching file content (no indexing) with "Everything" is on my wish list.
Please, David, don't add weight to EVTH. It is so efficient currently.
Or, at least, put an option in order to users can not use that feature.
As everybody knows, the most important merit and the awesome particularity of EVTH is its quickness of indexing/searching.

To Sparky :
There are so much tools, even freeware, that do search txt in files.
Just try Agent Ransack at mythicsoft.com
DickPape

Copernic was not my solution

Post by DickPape »

I had my hopes at first but I had to get rid of Copernic as kept getting "Catastrophic failure" msgs. It could not be relied upon to correctly catalogue my files -- would get varying file counts every time I had to start over. It would not consistently log selected files to its db (font files only). It could not maintain a keyword db larger than(3?)gb.

Commercial version was no apparent answer. Very disappointing.
rando

Post by rando »

I would like as well to have the possibility to search within files. :D

Still have to use two programs.
Everything + agent ransack
Magritte

Post by Magritte »

I don't know if it's possible, but if you can access Windows Desktop search through an API I think that might be a useful addition for searching content and as well as non-file data (e-mail, outlook notes, etc.). Since Vista and Windows 7 have Windows search integrated and many people are probably using it on XP through download, it's better to integrate its results rather than implement a content searching feature within Everything.

I've tweaked my Windows search settings to index content only on a select list of folders where it's sometimes useful as well as indexing my e-mail and Outlook data. But it's too resource hungry to turn it on for everything. That's where Everything comes in as it's very lean and efficient and I tend to use long filenames specifically to make searching easier. However, sometimes I have to do 2 searches to find what I need, once in Everything and if that fails I'll search in Windows. I can't always remember if I stored some critical note in a txt file or as an Outlook note, etc. If a button could expand the Everything search to include results from the Windows search index I think that could be both efficient and useful.
w4r3zh4ck™

Post by w4r3zh4ck™ »

Searchcing in files is a good idea when u wanna find something on texts
by the way Notepad++ is designed for this job ;)