How could one copy the labels (in the folder panel or somewhere else) of the drives to the clipboard?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Biff

How could one copy the labels (in the folder panel or somewhere else) of the drives to the clipboard?

Post by Biff »

void
Developer

Re: How could one copy the labels (in the folder panel or somewhere else) of the drives to the clipboard?

Post by void »

This is not possible from the folder sidebar.

Please try the following search:

root: add-column:index-volume-label

Select all results. (Ctrl + A)

From the File menu, under the Copy Property submenu, click Copy Index Volume Label.
Biff

Re: How could one copy the labels (in the folder panel or somewhere else) of the drives to the clipboard?

Post by Biff »

Done. Thank you very much!

To just directly copy a label / name of a single drive in the folder pane by pressing a shortcut or with an item in the context menu is not possible?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Consider creating a bookmark (Bookmarks -> Add to bookmarks) with the following search:

/copy $index-volume-label:

Optionally bind a keyboard shortcut.

/copy
Biff

Post by Biff »

Like this?

And how do I copy the label then?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, but add a keyboard shortcut.

Select a result then press your keyboard shortcut.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Very sorry, do not understand at all.

When I want to copy a single label with that bookmark, how do I do it?

Actually I do not want to use a shortcut, because the ones to copy names / paths, etc. (I would remember / use intuitively) are all already used.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Right click the drive and click Properties.

The volume label is shown in the Properties dialog.
You can copy the volume label from here.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Right click the drive and click Properties.
Yes, that's what I tried at first, but looks like it doesn't exist here (only with online hard drives, I guess):
tuska

Post by tuska »

2024-02-05_Copy the volume label from the properties dialog.png
2024-02-05_Copy the volume label from the properties dialog.png (44.29 KiB) Viewed 435 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@tuska: offline volumes is a different story though:
2024-02-05 18_14_33-root_ - Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1366a (x64).png
2024-02-05 18_14_33-root_ - Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1366a (x64).png (29.68 KiB) Viewed 434 times
tuska

Post by tuska »

2NotNull

If you need the names of offline drives, you can extract them using the "Textify" tool, for example.

2024-02-05_Extract names of offline drives.png
2024-02-05_Extract names of offline drives.png (19.71 KiB) Viewed 431 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thank you, clever approach (but @biff is the one who needs this; I don't)
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you very much for the very well explaining screenshot, tuska! Does it show an offline or online drive?

Ah, OK, an offline drive.
If you need the names of offline drives, you can extract them using the "Textify" tool, for example.
Many thanks for the link. Yes, a very good idea. Actually I had thought of a somehow easier / more comfortable / faster / maybe intuitively approach (for such a "simple everyday task"). OK, so it seems to be the only way (besides of using bookmarks, at which I failed incredibly).

Alright, many thanks!