By default, Will every instance I create, also have its own service created for it too?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Ralf_Reddings

By default, Will every instance I create, also have its own service created for it too?

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

Reading the 1.4 documentation page for Multiple Instances, it mentions:
>By default Everything will install a service for each instance.
I created several test instance with
Everything64 -instance
but I don't see additional services under "Everything", either in the task manager or in PowerShell (
Get-Service
), just one, which I am assuming is for the default instance. For 1.5 should there not be a separate Everything service for every instance.

Also, how is Everything storing the existence of these Instances? When I create a Instance and close it, I can see the following files are created:

Code: Select all

C:/Users/Ralf/AppData/Local/Everything/Everything-tester.db
C:/Users/Ralf/AppData/Roaming/Everything/Everything-tester.ini
C:/Program Files/Everything 1.5a/Everything-tester.ini
So if I were to manually delete these files, to Everything this
tester
instance does not exist? Because I am thinking of deleting and creating (through "templates") these files my self to create instances that are in arbitrary desired states fit for specific tasks. For example when I create a instance I have to keep specifying the DB location to be in
/Appdata/Roaming
rather than the default
/Appdata/local

I would love to automate DB location and other things at once, also unique/shared service depending on when I need them.

Knowing how Services are handled would help allot with implementing my idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
therube

Re: By default, Will every instance I create, also have its own service created for it too?

Post by therube »

In 1.5, all Instances use a single Service.
(Times past, that was different.)

In 1.4, don't know?
Though if you're running multiple 1.4 instances & only one Service is running, then I'd say it is (now) the same as with 1.5.

everything -instance test1
everything -instance test2
everything -instance test3
therube

Re: By default, Will every instance I create, also have its own service created for it too?

Post by therube »

I were to manually delete these files, to Everything this tester instance does not exist?
An Instance is only a "logical" concept, if you will.
An Instance (by default) names its set of "data" files; *.ini, *.db... with the specified Instance name.

So if the Instance is not running, & you delete said Instance related data files, the "instance" does not exist (at that point).

(Fire up Everything with that Instance name again, & well, it lives!)

For example when I create a instance I have to keep specifying the DB location
For me, I use the ZIP's, so by default the DB files are located in the directory (I chose) to use for any particular Instance.
(The installer defaults to %appdata%, or where ever, & I'm not really familiar with that.)

I create various directories:
/test1/, /test2/, /test3/ & copy (an) Everything.exe into each.

Then I'll typically thrown in a GO.bat to open each particular instance.
start "" Everything.exe -instance test1, in /test1/
start "" Everything.exe -instance test2, in /test2/
start "" Everything.exe -instance test3 -read-only, in /test3/

With that, Everything (everything) is pretty much self contained to a particular directory.
Likewise makes it easy to test various versions of Everything simply by using a different version of the Everything.exe executable.
If I want to make a backup, (exit that particular Everything Instance) & make a copy of a directory; test1 -> "test1 (copy)".

(Firefox used to work in much the same way, with Profiles.
But they, of course, bastardized it horribly, so one can no longer be confident as to what might or might not happen.
[Actually, it kind of still works - if you bypass their "Profile Manager" itself & just do things "manually" instead.
I have a "go.bat" for that too.])
void
Developer

Post by void »

Knowing how Services are handled would help allot with implementing my idea.
For Everything 1.5, there's only one Everything Service.
It's usually installed with the main instance. ( about:service )
The Everything Service can be managed from any instance under Tools -> Options -> General -> Everything Service

The Everything Service uses a named pipe server.
Multiple connections are supported.
Clients will connect to the service with the following name: \\.\PIPE\Everything Service (1.5a)
Ralf_Reddings

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

@Void and the @Theruub

Thank you to both of you for answering my questions!