Tools, Options, General panel - "Start menu shortcut"

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Tools, Options, General panel - "Start menu shortcut"

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Options_02.png
Options_02.png (44.79 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
This is my Tools, Options, General panel. I checked on the "Show Search Everything folder context menu item" by reading NotNull's post.

I believe that "Start menu shortcut" is enabled by my default re-installation of two days ago.

Confession: I am a drag-my-heels guy and have attempted to reconfigure the Win11 taskbar to be like Win10, and have generally tried to remove all clutter from my desktop.
Options_03.png
Options_03.png (592.23 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
i tap the Windows-Logo key to bring up the Start Menu.
I do not see Everything in this Start Menu.
Undismayed I choose "All apps" (top-right corner of my Start menu and see Everything listed there.
OK.
I right-click on the Everything item and choose "Pin to Start menu", then "back", and there is still no sign of Everything in the Start Menu.
I reboot (well, you never know ...) and there still is no sign of “Everything” in the Start Menu, except under “All Apps” where right-click offers to Unpin the item from the start menu (I decline).

I suspect that I have misunderstood the settings in the Tools, Options, General pane, and would appreciate some guidance.
Thanks, Chris
tuska

Re: Tools, Options, General panel - "Start menu shortcut"

Post by tuska »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:36 pm I right-click on the Everything item and choose "Pin to Start menu", then "back",
and there is still no sign of Everything in the Start Menu.
It's all there - look at these pictures...
Note the names of the .png image files.

2023-03-29_Pin to Start menu_An 'Start' anheften_Windows 11.png
2023-03-29_Pin to Start menu_An 'Start' anheften_Windows 11.png (189.9 KiB) Viewed 1193 times

2023-03-29_Start menu shortcuts_Verknüpfung im Startmenü erstellen_Windows 11.png
2023-03-29_Start menu shortcuts_Verknüpfung im Startmenü erstellen_Windows 11.png (177.72 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

You don't need an Start Menu entry for Everything
it starts with the System startup, according to your config.
Assign a gobal hotkey in Everything itself to get a new search screen
or click on the Everything symbol in the tray icons.
You have to enable seeing the icon from the Windows taskbar settings.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

An alternative (to deleting the 'nonsense' shortcuts) would be to show more icons on the first screen:

- right-click an empty part of the start menu
- select Start settings
- Click the More pins radiobutton.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

tuska wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:34 pm It's all there - look at these pictures...
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (184.84 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
Gaaaaaaargh!
Why doesn't my brain work likes Microsoft's?

When i see a pane that is only half-filled, my stupid, feeble, earth-bound brain assumes that that half is all that there is.

I never think of looking for tan micro-dots on one side of a jet-black pane.
My bad! :stupidme:

Thanks Tuska
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:16 pm You don't need an Start Menu entry for Everything
Thanks Horst, but it's not so much about what I need as to try to cater for questions in the User Tutorial.
We all work in different ways - an early maxim in Windows 3.1 was "there are four ways of doing everything", and it still (almost) holds true today.
Me, I tend not to use the Start menu at all, not even in Win95, if it had it then.
But for people who might like using the Start menu I feel obliged to test it out when I come across it while documenting Tools, Options, General.
Thanks, Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:49 pm An alternative (to deleting the 'nonsense' shortcuts) would be to show more icons on the first screen:
Thank you, NotNull. Of your 236 responses to my queries to date, this is the first one to bomb (HUGE grin).

First the Good News: I did get sidetracked into changing a theme to "desert" which is a lovely tan colour (although the desert I grew up in was basically a bright red - iron oxides)

Now for the Bad News: As an almost-innocent beginner user I was puzzled by NOT seeing the Everything Icon pop up where and when I expected it. Clearly my knowledge of win11 is worse than my limited knowledge of Everything, and i must work harder to pull up my socks.

If I use the Start menu at all, i would continue my slash-and-burn techniques of ridding Win11 of tail-fins and the other clutter, stripping it down to my needs (Word2003 & Everything; not necessarily in that order) and be done with it. (If I thought Word2003 would run under Windows 3.1, well, ...)

Thanks, as always
Chris
PS My new Start menu attached. What a waste of space ... C
PPS I notice that changing the Win11 theme to "desert" dropped my Slideshow settings for desktop. Sigh! Windows.
C
Attachments
Options_04.png
Options_04.png (27.68 KiB) Viewed 1167 times