Details about the status of an active index operation?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
andymbody

Details about the status of an active index operation?

Post by andymbody »

I would like to display the results-list sorted in a way to know which file/path is currently being indexed at the moment, or was last indexed. I found a column called 'date indexed' but the latest date shown 29 hours ago (not live) and I assume this is stamped at the completion of an index operation or when EverythingApp is shut down (?). Anything indexed within the current index operation (running for about the past 29 hours) is not indicated using the column.

I know you can see the current file being indexed within the options dialog while on the Properties or Content tab, but the file name is sometimes truncated (even with dialog full screen), doesn't show the path, and only displayed briefly (looks more like a debug feature). It would be nice to have these details displayed actively within the results-list itself... similar to the Index Journal. Is this possible?

Or Is there a way to make the 'date indexed' column 'live' with the current index in progress? Or another way to get live updates (details) about the index operation that is currently in progress, within the results-list itself?

Thanks!
Andy
void
Developer

Re: Details about the status of an active index operation?

Post by void »

Please try the Date Recently Changed property.

This is USN Journal timestamp of the last update.
This property is only available for recently changed files/folders. (about a day-week of changes, depending on your USN Journal size)

You will need to enable the Recent Change database before using the Date Recently Changed property.
To enable the Recent Change database:
Recent changes are enabled by default.
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab.
  • Check Index recent changes.
  • Click OK.
You will most likely want to load the USN Journal into your recent changes database:
(Otherwise the recent changes database only contains changes since Everything was started)

To include the USN Journals in the recent changes list:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab.
  • For each local NTFS volume:
    • Check Load USN Journal into the Recent Changes database.
  • Click OK.

-or-

Please try the Date Changed property.

This is the last MFT update time for NTFS volumes.
This property is available for all files/folders.
andymbody

Re: Details about the status of an active index operation?

Post by andymbody »

Ok... thank you!

Update...
I tried the suggestions and unfortunately it didn't produce the desired results.

I looked at the files being indexed from the options dialog, made a note of the files names, then looked at these files within results-list (after they were indexed)... what I found was... that the 'Date recently changed' matches DC and DA (within 2 minutes). And these dates are from years ago on files that I inspected.

But thank you very much for your suggestion and assistance! I'm sure this question is unique, and not one that others would have a use for. And it's not a an absolute requirement... I just thought I would ask if something like this was currently available.

Thank you Sir!