Avoid Everything indexing the all of the indexes, sorting file names, etc. when pluginng in a (8 GB) USB Stick?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Avoid Everything indexing the all of the indexes, sorting file names, etc. when pluginng in a (8 GB) USB Stick?

Post by Biff »

Is there a way to avoid Everything indexing the all of the indexes, sorting file names, etc. when pluginng in / adding a (8 GB) USB Stick to the FAT Tab in the indexes?
therube

Re: Avoid Everything indexing the all of the indexes, sorting file names, etc. when pluginng in a (8 GB) USB Stick?

Post by therube »

Explain further, if you would?
Biff

Re: Avoid Everything indexing the all of the indexes, sorting file names, etc. when pluginng in a (8 GB) USB Stick?

Post by Biff »

Sorry for the extremeley poor bullshit expression, I meant:

I do not want Everything to (try to) (re)index, sort file names of all of the indexes when I just plug in or off a (8 GB) USB Stick and / or add it to the FAT Tab in the "Indexes". When I plugged in / off a 8 GB USB Stick after having given it another format (do not know whether that matters) Everything obviously (re)indexed the online indexes, properties, sorted file names, etc. That lasts extremely long and causes high CPU / RAM usage. And I'd rather have Everything if it didn't. Can't it just add the new / changed files to the index?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Can't it just add the new / changed files to the index?
No, this would be slower than the quick-rebuild.

The quick rebuild will only index the new USB stick.
Your existing indexes will be reused.
The entire index must be resorted by all your fast-sort properties (including name and path).

For the best performance, don't use any fast properties sorts and please try reducing the number of files/folders indexed.

Everything currently only supports one index per instance.

Please consider firing up a new instance for your removable USB sticks.
Biff

Post by Biff »

That's enabled by default?
For the best performance, don't use any fast properties sorts
The let the content of the columns be sorted instandtly? Instead of haing to wait for a long time until sorting is finished?
Sorry, what does that mean? An instance is one window or one Everything running at a time? I can open multiple windows / searches / results from the same Everything.
void
Developer

Post by void »

That's enabled by default?
Yes.

For the best performance, don't use any fast properties sorts
The let the content of the columns be sorted instandtly? Instead of haing to wait for a long time until sorting is finished?
It's the tradeoff you'll have to pay.
Slow reindexing or slow sorting.

Faster sorting will probably outweigh the slower reindexing.

Sorry, what does that mean? An instance is one window or one Everything running at a time? I can open multiple windows / searches / results from the same Everything.
Yes, think of an instance as an Everything process.
An Everything process can have multiple windows.

Normally there is only one Everything process.

Use named instances to create a new Everything process.
Each Everything process / instance will have its own settings and database.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Like done in the other thread. OK. Thank you!
Faster sorting will probably outweigh the slower reindexing.
OK, then I will leave it like this.