Suggestion | Organize Columns... ==> Organize Result list...

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Stamimail

Suggestion | Organize Columns... ==> Organize Result list...

Post by Stamimail »

RightClick on ColumnHeader > Organize Columns...

You can add to this Dialog:
ColumnSize - will set the width of each column

You can also combine the functionality of "Advanced Sort..." to this Dialog.

Another suggestion is to add to "RightClick on ColumnHeader" more commands:
1. Save Result list Layout... - saves the current Columns order/size/sort - it will open a Dialog-Box letting the user to input a name.
2. Load Result list Layout >
a quick access to the saved Result list Layout names made in step 1.

3. AutoSizeColumn - size all columns automatically by calculating the all the characters of the current screen in the Result list. An algorithm that trying to guess what columns size the user wants.(for example: ignoring one long line)
void
Developer

Re: Suggestion | Organize Columns... ==> Organize Result list...

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestions Stamimail,
ColumnSize - will set the width of each column
Custom widths and colors is on my TODO list for the Organize Columns... dialog.
You can also combine the functionality of "Advanced Sort..." to this Dialog.
I will consider more sort options in the Organize Columns... dialog.
One setting that I feel is missing from the column header context menu is to quickly toggle mix file and folders results.
I have to be careful not to add to much more to the column header context menu as it is getting bloated.
1. Save Result list Layout... - saves the current Columns order/size/sort - it will open a Dialog-Box letting the user to input a name.
2. Load Result list Layout >
a quick access to the saved Result list Layout names made in step 1.
I experimented with a Column Sets feature.
However, it was removed as filters gave a better user experience with temporary columns.
Column Sets also made this column header context menu feel bloated.

I may re-add Columns Sets, I feel something is still needed here so the user doesn't need to setup a filter..
Columns Sets might be a good example for a plugin.
3. AutoSizeColumn - size all columns automatically by calculating the all the characters of the current screen in the Result list. An algorithm that trying to guess what columns size the user wants.(for example: ignoring one long line)
I have experimented with 'smart' column auto sizing (pre Everything 1.4). Unfortunately, I could never get it to do what I wanted.
I will look into this again, for now there's Alt + 1, Alt + 2, Alt + 3 and Alt + 4.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

One setting that I feel is missing from the column header context menu is to quickly toggle mix file and folders results.
IMHO, it belongs to the Result List context menu. (RightClick on NonText)
I experimented with a Column Sets feature.
However, it was removed as filters gave a better user experience with temporary columns.
Column Sets also made this column header context menu feel bloated.

I may re-add Columns Sets, I feel something is still needed here so the user doesn't need to setup a filter..
Columns Sets might be a good example for a plugin.
The hierarchy of the column header context menu may need to be re-design.
You can upload an alpha version with Columns Sets feature for knowing the concept and testing.
I have experimented with 'smart' column auto sizing (pre Everything 1.4). Unfortunately, I could never get it to do what I wanted.
I will look into this again, for now there's Alt + 1, Alt + 2, Alt + 3 and Alt + 4.
I can't understand how "Window Size"
Alt + 1, Alt + 2, Alt + 3 and Alt + 4
related to here.
Maybe I should have named it otherwise:
AutoSizeColumn ==> AutoColumnsSize (Affects only the width of the columns. Does not affect window size.)
I've never used "Window Size" feature. I'm using Everything window Maximized."Window Size" make Everything window Restore windowed.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the suggestions Stamimail,
The hierarchy of the column header context menu may need to be re-design.
Yes, I will experiment with a new layout.
add columns and remove column should be together.
You can upload an alpha version with Columns Sets feature for knowing the concept and testing.
Everything-1.5.0.1212a.x64.zip
Everything-1.5.0.1212a.x86.zip

Was the last version to have a nonfunctional Column Set mockup.
It shows the menu being too bloated.
It might work as a submenu next to the Audio...Video submenus. I will experiment.
AutoSizeColumn ==> AutoColumnsSize (Affects only the width of the columns. Does not affect window size.)
I've never used "Window Size" feature. I'm using Everything window Maximized."Window Size" make Everything window Restore windowed.
I've added Ctrl + Shift + NumPad+ to Size All Columns to Fit Window to the latest Everything 1.5 alpha:
Is this useful? does this functionality need to be added as a menu item to the header context menu?
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Everything-1.5.0.1212a.x64.zip
Everything-1.5.0.1212a.x86.zip

Was the last version to have a nonfunctional Column Set mockup.
It shows the menu being too bloated.
It might work as a submenu next to the Audio...Video submenus. I will experiment.
I believe you can find a solution for the "Save Column Set" command/button in the "Organize Columns..." dialog (it should let the user assign a name and an optional hotkey too). and when the user saved one,
Load Column Set >
will appear in the column header context menu.
I've added Ctrl + Shift + NumPad+ to Size All Columns to Fit Window to the latest Everything 1.5 alpha:
Is this useful? does this functionality need to be added as a menu item to the header context menu?
Yes. I used this command in 1.4, and I think it's need to be there. (I just needed to assign other hotkey, since my laptop doesn't have NumPads)

I think I used "Size All Columns to Fit" more than "Size Column to Fit",
and the experience has shown that another command (3rd) is needed - AutoColumnsSize - that knows to ingore some long filenames/paths...

As it already been said, I think it should not bother you too much in alpha if the menu being too bloated.
The UI now needs to help in making it convenient for testing what need to be tested.
Later on, will spend more time on arranging the UI more accurate.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the suggestions Stamimail,

I still feel a Column Set feature is needed, so it is still on my TODO list.

You can already use filters to create column sets.

To create a new filter column set:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Set a Name, for example: Audio Columns
  • Set the columns to: Add columns -> Select your additional columns to show when this filter is active, for example: Length
  • Leave the Search blank.
  • Click OK.
Or consider editing your existing Audio filter from Search -> Organize Filters.... -> Audio -> Edit....
I think I used "Size All Columns to Fit" more than "Size Column to Fit",
Please try the new "Size All Columns to Fit Window" command.
It will fit your columns to the current window size.

To create a keyboard shortcut for "Size All Columns to Fit Window":
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Keyboard tab on the left.
  • Change Show commands containing to: fit
  • Select Result List | Size All Columns to Fit Window.
  • Click Add....
  • Press a new keyboard shortcut and click OK.
  • Click OK.
I've also made these keyboard shortcuts for size all column commands global by default.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I found the new command. I don't know. Time will tell.

In AutoColumnsSize - I tried to talk about another problem:
When you have a row or two in a column that are really long from the rest, then it affects the column size commands in an undesirable way.
The question is - how the user wants his columns arrangement in such a case.