Custom assignment for mouse and keyboard buttons do not work

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Darryl_Gittins

Custom assignment for mouse and keyboard buttons do not work

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

I wonder if anyone might have some ideas about this.

I have a Microsoft Ergonomic Natural Keyboard 4000, and I've changed the keyboard settings – for example the three buttons on the top left (Web, Search, and Mail) are set in Intellitype to Cut, Copy and Paste.

Similarly, I have programmed my mouse scroll button to be a CTRL key so that when I press the mouse button, I can press a Keyboard key to perform actions such as (CTRL+P to Paste, and so on.)

I've been using these assignments for many years and find them very useful. :geek:

However, the problem is the CTRL assignment for the Mouse scroll key and the custom button assignments for the keyboard do not work in Search Everything.

For example, I do the following:

1. I use the (Web) button to copy some text from another program (any program such as notepad).
2. I start Search Everything, click in the search box.
3. I use the (Mail) button to paste the text into the search box.

When I do this, instead of pasting the text, the default action for the button occurs – Windows opens a Web page.

Similarly, for example, I do the following:

1. I use copy some text from another program.
2. I start Search Everything, click in the search box.
3. I press mouse scroll button CTRL key and the P key (CTRL+P) to Paste the text into the search box.

In this case, a "P" appears in the search box instead of the text.

Now comes the really annoying part. After this problem occurs, if I then switch to another program such as Microsoft Word, the CTRL assignment for the Mouse scroll key and the custom button assignments for the keyboard no longer work in Word.

If I then close everything out, and restart word, the assignments work again.

I love Search Everything, but this glitch keeps tripping me up. :cry:

Any suggestions?

THANKS FOR READING THIS!!
:mrgreen:
void
Developer

Re: Custom assignment for mouse and keyboard buttons do not work

Post by void »

What version of Windows are you running?

Try running your mouse software with administrative privileges.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Tried that but it caused big problems with getting the Logitech and MS IType software to run at all.
After I removed the run as admin settings, neither program would start properly with Windows.
I had to use Revo uninstaller to strip both programs form the computer then reinstall them to get them working again.

I don't recomend anyone do this ("Try running your mouse software with administrative privileges.")

So now I'm back with the original problem.

(Thanks for the suggestion though).
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

I've noticed a significant pattern. Custom assignment for mouse and keyboard buttons do not work in any file that I open by using Search Everything.

For example, if I search for a Word doc in SE, then double click the located doc, custom assignment for mouse and keyboard buttons do not work in Word. If I then close Word, and then reopen word, and then open that same document from the MRU list, custom assignment for mouse and keyboard buttons do work in Word.

This behavior is consistent for numerous apps, including Corel XMetaL, Excel, and others. It's weird behavior, but 100% reproducible.
void
Developer

Re: Custom assignment for mouse and keyboard buttons do not

Post by void »

The problem is caused by "Everything" having administrative privileges and your mouse/keyboard software having limited privileges.

Applications run from "Everything" will also have administrative privileges.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

void wrote:The problem is cause by "Everything" having administrative privileges and your mouse/keyboard software having limited privileges.

Applications run from "Everything" will also have administrative privileges.
Interesting... so should I set Everything to not use Admin proveleges?

Thanks!
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

It looks like I was running Everything with admins, but I turned that off, shut down the process then restarted it and I see the same problem. Does Everything run with Admin by default? Is there a way to turn that off or otherwise fix or workaround the problem?

Thanks again!!
void
Developer

Post by void »

"Everything" requires administrative privileges for low level access to volumes.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

OK, thanks. For now, a partial workaround is to right-click the file that I find in SE, and then click "Open Path". The folder opens with the file highlighted. I double-click the file to open it, then the custom button assignments do work.

A small extra step, but well worth it for the terrific functionality in SE! I look forward to future updates!!
:D
drogba

add: firefox search/address bars don't work

Post by drogba »

In addition to the loss of custom mouse controls ( I use MS intellipoint ), there is erratic keyboard behavior in firefox. When typing in the search bar or address bar in firefox instead of seeing text I instead engage the menu's shortcut keys.

ie. if i type 'V' in the address bar the View menu gets pulled down. PITA! Thanks for the software, but I will wait until these problems are fixed before I use again.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Darryl_Gittins wrote:a partial workaround is to right-click the file that I find in SE, and then click "Open Path". The folder opens with the file highlighted. I double-click the file to open it, then the custom button assignments do work.
I wondered if there was any word on a resolution for this issue. Or perhaps is it possible to change the default behaviour in SE so that when you double click a file in SE, instead of opening the file, SE opens the containing folder? That would save a lot of clicks in a day for me.

Thanks!
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Strangely, the problem went away and this all worked OK for a while. Then for some reason, I had to reset Internet Explorer, and after that, the problem surfaced again. I wish I could figure this issue out.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Does the problem occur with the latest beta with the service installed?
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Ooh... I didn't know about the beta. I'll try that and report back.

On a side note, any chance there eventually might be a version that might work in Windows RT?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will look into Windows RT support..
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

void wrote:Does the problem occur with the latest beta with the service installed?
Oh, I am so happy I can barely contain myself! The issues are fixed in the beta! IMHO, this latest update launches SE into #1 spot as THE BEST WINDOWS UTILITY EVER!!

Thanks so much!!

:mrgreen:
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Just dropped you a more "tangible" thank you via PayPal. Thanks for such an awesome tool - Darryl and Justine.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the support :D