Can I change default verb for context menu?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
EricB

Can I change default verb for context menu?

Post by EricB »

Hi,

Something which is not obvious to me is whether I can change the default verb for the context menu within Everything. The default is now always Open, but I'd prefer "Open path" to be the default. The only way that occurs to me now is to change the command behind the "Open" verb to act as "Open path" (using Total Commander as external file manager). Any ideas? Or do I need to dig into registry settings for context menus?

Regards, EricB
void
Developer

Re: Can I change default verb for context menu?

Post by void »

The system default verb is used for the context menu items and when opening an item in Everything.

This can not be changed for just Everything. You can change the default verb for the entire system, however, you will need to change it for every single file type.

What about changing ENTER to open the path rather than opening the item?
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Keyboard tab.
  • For Show commands containing, type in: open path
  • Select File | Open Path
  • Click Add....
  • Press ENTER and click OK.
  • For Show commands containing, type in: open
  • Select File | Open
  • Click Add....
  • Press Ctrl + ENTER and click OK.
  • Click OK.
Now when you press ENTER on a result, it will open the path, pressing Ctrl + Enter will open the item.

I'll consider adding a option to override the default verb in Everything.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

As an alternative/ extra option, if you use the mouse instead of the keyboard:

In Everything you can make the Path (the column next to the filename) clickable, which will open that path in your filemanager.
You can activate this in the Options menu: General > Results > "Open path with double click in path column"
EricB

Post by EricB »

Hi David,
This can not be changed for just Everything. You can change the default verb for the entire system, however, you will need to change it for every single file type.

I was already afraid it would be system wide, which is too much hassle, since it would only be of use within Everything.

The trick with the Enter key is a good workaround, but it will not prevent an Open command when double clicking the file.

Meanwhile @NotNull came up with the complementary mouse-oriented solution I was looking for (Thx!). I just have to remember not to double click the file, but the path. It will take a few miss-strokes, but I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

I'd say this negates my request for override, both solutions combined will surely do!

Regards, EricB