Hotkey stopped working

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
wmpwi

Hotkey stopped working

Post by wmpwi »

Everything was fine, really. The today I noticed the hotkey to open a new search window stopped working. I assumed some other program hijacked the short cut so I changed it to several different options and nothing seems to work. Once a search window is open, the hotkey works fine opening up additional windows, but I can no longer call it up globally as before. I do have it set to run when windows starts.

Currently running Win10
version: 1703
Build: 15063.296
64-bit

Thanks.
therube

Re: Hotkey stopped working

Post by therube »

With which setting, hotkey are you speaking of?
wmpwi

Post by wmpwi »

Tools > Options > Keyboard > File| New Search Window. I had set the global hotkey combo as Alt + Right Arrow. I've used that function whenever I wanted to call up the Everything search.

It worked flawlessly for a couple years then just stopped working the other day. I assumed that some other program hotkey function claimed it and whenever there's a conflict of that type, the Everything hotkey would not work. I tried several other key combos and nothing will call up the 'File | New Search Window command'
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@wmpwi: you didn't mention your version of Everything...

On my system Everything version 1.4.1.873b (x64) is installed. It has a "New Window Hotkey" entry (see image). That should be the entry where you can set this, instead of "File| New Search Window"
2017-06-03 09_49_18-Everything Options.png
2017-06-03 09_49_18-Everything Options.png (13.15 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
BTW: If I try to set Alt-Right as the (global) hotkey for File| New Search Window, a message is shown that thtis key combo is already reservred for "View | Go To | Forward".
wmpwi

Post by wmpwi »

This is very helpful for a couple reasons. The version you're showing is newer. I checked before I originally posted using the check for updates and it said Everything is to date. I have Version 1.3.4.686 (x64). Not sure what's different between the two versions, but I'll read up on it and it may not apply to me.

As to my hotkey problem, yeah that resolved the issue. Odd that it changed on me, but honestly I like the program so much and now that it's back to it's usual behavior I'm a happy camper. Thanks so much.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You're welcome! Glad to be of help. And thank you for your feedback!