Keep recently deleted files in the database for a while

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
maxfactor

Keep recently deleted files in the database for a while

Post by maxfactor »

I think that because Everything database contains information about specific files/folders I am particularly interested it could also be very useful in keeping track of what of them have been recently deleted (for example when you move a file instead of copying it, or a synchronization-software delete them, or even a Dropbox database corruption causes a file loss, etc...)
Last edited by maxfactor on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: Keep recently deleted files in the database for a while (to better monitor what is happening to my files)

Post by therube »

Directory Monitor, free & paid versions.
(Untested.)
void
Developer

Re: Keep recently deleted files in the database for a while (to better monitor what is happening to my files)

Post by void »

This has been asked a couple times recently, I'm considering another database to monitor deleted files, kind of like recent changes.

It would probably be an optional toggle to enable from Tools -> Options -> Indexes -> Index deleted files.
You could search for deleted: to show a list of all delete files, or search for deleted:<date> to list files on a certain date, or before, or after a certain date.

Thanks for the suggestions.
maxfactor

Post by maxfactor »

Thanks to you.
If possible let the user choice how long time he wants deleted files be mantained in the database.
Regards.
Lyssa

Re: Keep recently deleted files in the database for a while

Post by Lyssa »

Hi Void,

I know this is an old thread, but I would love something like this to be implemented. Being able to export just the items that have been deleted using es would be exactly what I am looking for. Taking it a step further, it would be great if we could have similar functionality when it comes to renames.

Melissa
therube

Post by therube »

RecentFilesView may be of some interest too.

Say you played a movie clip, harouna-space-prix-operation-myopie-remboursement.mp4, then deleted the file.

Some time later, you say to yourself... what was the name of that file?!

RecentFilesView may have a record of that.
You fire up RFV, & say, "oh, that's what it was".

(I've deleted, renamed, files before, & used RFV to figure out similar.)
maxfactor

Post by maxfactor »

Thank you dear, not so bad a GUI showing information already stored somewhere into Windows.

Anyway, implementing it into Everything could be even more powerful and more confortable (having one interface only).
For example you could see recently deleted files + realtime refresh + filtering.

Of course Directory Monitor is the best of all, but you have to keep it in background, together with Everything.

Thanks for your suggestions, they are very valid. My hope is that it will still be implemented in Everything (if not done yet) ;)