Syntax! Path exclusion: wildcards? (+many *do NOT include*)

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
myNameIsJonny!

Syntax! Path exclusion: wildcards? (+many *do NOT include*)

Post by myNameIsJonny! »

just starting to grasp the awesome might of void everything, not even dabbling in regex yet (cause I don't have a clue and there's about 9 other languages I "neeeeed" to learn first!

so I have many disks (indexes, like snapshots), some db's contain these missing_indexed_volumes, I can glance at who's in the db with a quick search for :

I've just managed to almost get a custom search syntax down, not certain it's giving me the results I think I'm asking for!

I'm looking for .dll's and .txt files, not in any program files \ windows \ system volume... folders..

It seems to work, to a point

Code: Select all

!<"\program"|"\Windows"|"volume"><*.dll|*.txt>
(maybe I'm telling to exclude any program.txt^^, not sure exactly what I'm instructing, if it 's <paths><files>, in a nutshell...
wondered if it's possible to do a similar thang ^^^, re "volume"... without excluding folders beginning with System..
IE! Can I also search for "path doesn't contain volume"

thanks in advance :)
void
Developer

Re: Syntax! Path exclusion: wildcards? (+many *do NOT includ

Post by void »

maybe I'm telling to exclude any program.txt
The \program search will also match files starting with program, try searching for:

ext:dll;txt !"\program files\" !"\program files (x86)\" !"\Windows\" !"\System Volume Information\"
The trailing backslash (\) will ensure the correct path is found.
ext:dll;txt is much faster than *.dll|*.txt and has the same meaning.
Having ext:dll;txt first will also make the search faster, since it will eliminate most results for the more complex path matching.

There is no <paths><files> format.
The < and > are used for grouping. Searches inside <> are done first.
re "volume"... without excluding folders beginning with System..
IE! Can I also search for "path doesn't contain volume"
Do I have this right? you want to allow system volume paths and disallow all other volume paths?
Please try:

ext:dll;txt !"\program files\" !"\program files (x86)\" !"\Windows\" <!"*\*volume*\*"|"*\system*volume*\*"> 
!*\*volume*\* = path doesn't contain volume
"*\system*volume*\*" = allow paths containing volume if it starts with system.