custom values csv questions

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
jimspoon

custom values csv questions

Post by jimspoon »

I'm trying to understand how custom property values will work. I looked at the following page but still have questions: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9788#customproperties

It appears that custom properties are stored in a CSV file, only one for the whole database, at a location specified in Everything-1.5a.ini.

It looks like multiple properties can be named in the CSV header line, each one separated by a comma.

It also looks like custom property can have multiple values, each separated by a semicolon.

It also seems that you can't add custom properties this way, rather, you can only specify custom values for already existing properties (properties either native to Everything, or in the Windows Property System). And any value you specify in the CSV file simply overrides the value that would otherwise appear.

Am I right on these points?
void
Developer

Re: custom values csv questions

Post by void »

It appears that custom properties are stored in a CSV file, only one for the whole database, at a location specified in Everything-1.5a.ini.
You can have as many CSV files as you like (you are not limited to one).
You might like one CSV to specify Tags, and another to specify Comments.
It looks like multiple properties can be named in the CSV header line, each one separated by a comma.
Correct.
It also looks like custom property can have multiple values, each separated by a semicolon.
It's up to the property class, tags support ; for multiple values.
Other properties such as Width or Length will only support a single value.
It also seems that you can't add custom properties this way, rather, you can only specify custom values for already existing properties (properties either native to Everything, or in the Windows Property System). And any value you specify in the CSV file simply overrides the value that would otherwise appear.
Correct.
Everything will need to have some understanding of what the property is (eg: is it a string, a number, a date)?

I will consider support for custom properties.
eg: customdate1..12, customstring1..12, customnumber1..12
and allow you to give these custom properties a name.

A UI to manage custom values is in development.
jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

Is it possible that values could be editable in place in the Everything results list? Maybe property values could be changed for all selected items.

If custom properties could be included in a CSV file, that would open up great possibilities even before there is a UI to edit values etc - we could use Excel to set values for the custom properties, or custom values for non-custom properties.

But what if a file with custom properties and custom values is moved? The file location would have to be changed in the CSV file for the custom properties and custom values to continue to be associated with that file.

I guess Everything routinely scans the applicable CSV file(s) for new custom values and incorporates these values into its index?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is it possible that values could be editable in place in the Everything results list? Maybe property values could be changed for all selected items.
Possibly in a future release.

For now, you can set some properties from Right click file -> Properties -> Details.

I also have on my TODO list to add a property manager.

If custom properties could be included in a CSV file, that would open up great possibilities even before there is a UI to edit values etc - we could use Excel to set values for the custom properties, or custom values for non-custom properties.
Custom values for properties

But what if a file with custom properties and custom values is moved? The file location would have to be changed in the CSV file for the custom properties and custom values to continue to be associated with that file.
I have plans for an Everything Property Server.
The Everything Property Server would handle file operations.

For now, please consider:
Storing properties in the file.
Storing properties in sidecar files.
storing properties in alternate data streams.

Storing properties in Everything without modifying files.

I guess Everything routinely scans the applicable CSV file(s) for new custom values and incorporates these values into its index?
Currently, only on startup.
I'll look into making Everything detect external changes to your CSV file with custom property values.

Thank you for the suggestions.
brandySnake

Post by brandySnake »

This is an interesting topic!
You can have as many CSV files as you like (you are not limited to one).
You might like one CSV to specify Tags, and another to specify Comments.
Does this refer to the possibility of specifying multiple property definition files, as in the sample below?
If the same column name exists in two(some) files, will they be merged? Or does the file at the tail(Other.csv in the sample below) take precedence?

sample-setting:

Code: Select all

/property_user_values=C:\Propertys\Tags.csv,C:\Propertys\Other.csv
void
Developer

Post by void »

Does this refer to the possibility of specifying multiple property definition files, as in the sample below?
Yes.
You can specify more than one CSV filename.

If the same column name exists in two(some) files, will they be merged? Or does the file at the tail(Other.csv in the sample below) take precedence?
Yes, the last file will take precedence.
Files are loaded from left to right.
New property values will overwrite existing property values.
brandySnake

Post by brandySnake »

Thank you for your reply.
I now understand more about the custom property file specification.

Thanks again.