Everything keyword search crashes on very big network disk

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Azur

Everything keyword search crashes on very big network disk

Post by Azur »

Hi,
I'm trying to search for a keyword on a networked disk with A LOT (millions) of documents. I understand this will take a long time because file contents are not indexed, but that's OK. Problem is that after an hour or so of "Querying..." Everything terminates without result. There's no error message, but the service is stopped and I have to restart Everything. A few times I instead of a crash get a "Cancel Current Query?" popup which one can only click "OK" to.

I am running Everything as a service. Windows 10, 64Bit.

Any hints what the problem might be and how I can avoid the crashes? Or am I just asking too much of Everything?
void
Developer

Re: Everything keyword search crashes on very big network disk

Post by void »

Everything does not index file content.

Content searching in Everything is extremely slow.

Please try limiting the number of results as much as possible before using the content: search function. For example:
ext:docx;doc;pdf;txt size:<1mb dm:thisyear content:"to be or not to be"

Any access to the Everything database while there is a content search will show the "Cancel Current Query?" dialog.
Clicking OK will cancel the current content search and clear any results.

As for everything terminating with no error message, it is usually caused by a iFilter blowing up the stack.
Everything uses the extension-associated iFilter to search file content. For example docx will use the office provided iFilter.

If the documents are plain txt (ansi/utf8/utf16) please try the following built-in content search functions:
ansicontent:
utf8content:
utf16content: