Everything crashing when viewing some thumbnails

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Deadline_Zero

Everything crashing when viewing some thumbnails

Post by Deadline_Zero »

Some video files seem to cause Everything to crash when searched. It's not every file, but if a problem file turns up in the search, it crashes the entire program. There any solution for this? I am running the latest version.
void
Developer

Re: Everything crashing when viewing some thumbnails

Post by void »

Some shell extensions will crash when working with long paths, please try enforcing shell max path:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /shell_max_path=1
  • If successful, you should see shell_max_path=1 in the status bar for a few seconds.
Please try ShellExView to disable any thumbnail handlers:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Deadline_Zero

Re: Everything crashing when viewing some thumbnails

Post by Deadline_Zero »

void wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:53 am Some shell extensions will crash when working with long paths, please try enforcing shell max path:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /shell_max_path=1
  • If successful, you should see shell_max_path=1 in the status bar for a few seconds.
Please try ShellExView to disable any thumbnail handlers:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Thank you, I tried both solutions above, and when trying ShellExView (having no idea what I was doing), I noticed my Media Preview thumbnail handler I installed years ago. Disabling it stopped the crashing (so it was the main problem here), but also stopped the thumbnail previews I wanted.

So I've installed Icaros to handle that instead, and that seems to be able to generate thumbnails without crashing. And it seems to work a lot faster than Media Preview did. Good fix all around.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction there.