What could prevent everything from picking up items in temp?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
klepp0906

What could prevent everything from picking up items in temp?

Post by klepp0906 »

I'm sorta asking this inadvertently in relation to another problem i've been trying to sort out. I believe the cause is the same.

When i search for a very specific file with everything, it pops up on one pc, but not the other.

both use 100% identical everything settings.

The file is not behaving as expected and I didnt realize the problem may have a broader reach than expected. Its located in %localappdata%\Temp\TeamViewer

I assumed my trouble was with that folder or file but after a search and it not showing up, I tried another subfolder of Temp with another file and Everything did not turn that up either, whereas it did on my other pc's it works fine.

I tried inside %localappdata% and everything there is searchable. Its purely limited to any subdir inside the Temp subfolder.

my exclusions list in Everything is empty, and as i mentioned the file is not behaving as expected, undoubtedly due to the same cause that stops Everything from searching it properly.

(the file is supposed to recreate itself after deletion, it does not. It doesnt even do what its supposed to do when its there either. Its responsible for popping up a window when teamviewer is closed)

I thought it may be a permissions thing, but the permissions on the temp folder are entirely identical.

Even if i open Everything to the exact teamviewer directory, it sees nothing.

If i open to the Temp directory, it can see and filter files and folders through searching, but nothing inside the directories therein.

hoping someone can pinpoint whats going on, for Everything, for TeamViewer, and for who knows what else is currently afflicted >.<
void
Developer

Re: What could prevent everything from picking up items in temp?

Post by void »

Please make sure no search options are checked under the Search menu (eg: uncheck match case, uncheck match whole words, uncheck regex)

Please make sure the Everything filter is active under the Search menu.

Please make sure exclude hidden files and system files are unchecked from Tools -> Options -> Exclude.

These files might be hard links.

Currently, Everything does not track changes to all hard links.

If you force a rebuild, does Everything find these files?

To force a rebuild:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.
klepp0906

Post by klepp0906 »

Hi, going to try the rebuild momentarily. I just got up, id cleared out that temp folder in its entirety last night and teamviewer is no properly recreating the file.

I had hoped that it would have fixed everything - unfortunately it cannot find it still. I did make sure match case etc was all clear.

Gonna toss my cards in with the rebuild. Wish me luck. will report back asap.

Thank you for your help

oh, also not hard links. A) i get prominent overlays with hardlinks in explorer, and B) i tried about a dozen random files from all over inside any subdir of the temp folder. Oddly enough its finding files that are in Temp but not in a subdir of Temp.

odd.

heres to hoping the rebuild does it!
klepp0906

Post by klepp0906 »

Whelp

the rebuild did it :) now i know that should be my first step if trouble ever presents in the future. What would cause this to be necessary? Ive been known to roll back via system images at times. I imagine somewhere along the way that could have caused it.

Or the fact i run Everything from a folder sync'd to my dropbox account. (all of my portable softwares are)

either way, thank you a ton for the help. the resolution to this was rather simple. I was expecting something rooted deeply that was going to annihilate my entire day off :P
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

klepp0906 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:09 am Ive been known to roll back via system images at times. I imagine somewhere along the way that could have caused it.
Correct.
Everything uses 2 special Windows files to keep your list of all the files on your C:-drive up-to-date.
One is the "address book" of all files on the disk. Everything uses that for the initial scan.
The other is a "log book" of all the changes to the disk. This has a limited size (can hold about 3 weeks of changes).
Using this log book makes Everything pick up on changes in (almost) real-time.

When you revert your system to an older image (and thus an older Everything database), you will miss changes as they are no longer in the log book.
So in that case always do a Force Rebuild. That will re-read all entries from the "address book".
klepp0906

Post by klepp0906 »

excellent! learned something extremely beneficial for my use case today :)

appreciate the time and work you put in to developing this amazing software. Words dont do guys with your skillset and generosity justice in todays day n age.

thank you!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for all the compliments! Now I wish I was the developer of Everything :D
(that would be @void, btw).

I am just a volunteer, helping with answering questions on this forum.