Portable Versions: NO files by default

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
RegexNinja

Portable Versions: NO files by default

Post by RegexNinja »

Hi
I tried several portable versions of Everything, but never once managed to see any files by default.
When the app ran a 1st-time, it did always create an Everything.ini upon exiting, but never an Everything.db
Searching for * or .* (with regex-enabled) never yeilded any results in the file-list.
No errors were reported, and no Errorlog.txt was generated, with any version.

The only default settings I changed were:
Tools/Options/General: UnChecked RunInBackground & ShowTrayIcon
Tools/Options/Exclude: UnChecked EnableExcludeList

Here's what did NOT work:
Tools/Options/Indexes: Setting DatabaseLocation==%cd%\Everything.db -or- %appdata%\Everything.db
Tools/Options/Indexes: ForceRebuild -or- RestoreDefaults
Tools/Options/Indexes/NTFS: Nothing was listed in LocalNTFSVolumes (all below settings greyed-out) !!
Enabling WindowsSearch via services.msc.

Here's what WORKED:
Either: Tools/Options/Folders/AddFolder: Choose Drive C:\ then Apply
Or: Run as admin, & WAIT long enough for Everything to build its database.

Hopefully, this can save portable users out there alot of troubleshooting.
To be honest, I almost gave up on it.. About renamed it Nothing!
Cheers.
therube

Re: Portable Versions: NO files by default

Post by therube »

I believe "Portable" is portable in the sense the you unzip & run (rather then running an installer, rather then Everything ;-) being self-contained & isolated unto itself).

By default, Portable stores its' database in the same directory as Everything.exe (rather then somewhere in %APPDATA%).
You either need to run Everything "As Administrator" or set up the Everything Service (in order for it to automatically find/index NTFS drives).
Tools | Options -> General --> Run as administrator | Everything Service (with the Service generally preferred [& safer, as it runs at a User level]).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

RegexNinja wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:40 am About renamed it Nothing!
:lol: That would be a good name: "Nothing" is better than everything!

Normally, when you start the portable version of Everything for the first time, you are presented with this dialog box:
Didn't you get that?
2020-04-13 15_53_13-Everything.png
2020-04-13 15_53_13-Everything.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
RegexNinja

Post by RegexNinja »

Hi,
Nope, I downloaded several versions trying to get something to work.. Not one provided that dialog box.
To make matters worse, every portable version reported: Version 1.3.0.632b via Help/AboutEverything.
In case you're wondering, they're not the same executable, they're just coded with the same version-string for some reason?

No big deal, but it did complicate the troubleshooting process.. Kinda my own fault, for not being a bit more patient.
I tried admin early-on during the troubleshooting... A mere 30seconds would've saved me a LOT of time.
If that dialog box is from a portable version, could you please post a link to the download.
Cheers!
void
Developer

Post by void »

There is an installed version of Everything still running (version 1.3.0.632).
Running the new portable version will launch the old 1.3.0.632 version.

Please uninstall Everything 1.3.0.632 before running the portable version.

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/
RegexNinja

Post by RegexNinja »

Thanks for the help everyone, I had left the portable version 1.3.0.632 running in the background.
Trying to launch another version just brings up the background-running app's GUI..
Sorry for the confusion, I should've figured that out.

The only thing I can figure, is either I missed the dialog box somehow or maybe there was a previous install.
Couldnt find anything in Remove Programs though.. Just thankful to have it running, lol.
Thanks to everyone for the help.. Cheers!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@RegexNinja:

Just noticed that you were coming from the BRU forum ( I used to post there too in the past and still check it out from time to time).

Maybe you like to know that Everything also has a bulk rename feature. Select your files and select Menu:File > Rename (or press F2) to open it.
It even has regex support ;)
RegexNinja

Post by RegexNinja »

@NotNull:
Thanks, I didnt realise that.. In fact, I thought you were pulling my leg with that 'bulk-rename' bit.
Problem is, I was still using the 'minimalist' v1.3.0.632b, so I just couldn't get it to work.

I do very much like that feature, so needless to say, I'm now using the latest version.
Very happy to see the regex supporting look-arounds, atomics, & such.. Just had to try it out.
Great app btw.. Cheers!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

:thumbsup:

BTW: Everything uses a PCRE library.