Exclude path from results (single use only)

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
juzzle

Exclude path from results (single use only)

Post by juzzle »

Rather than toggling the Exclude List on and off in preferences (which results in a requery of the entire database), it would be fabulous to be able to right mouse click on the path and choose "Exclude this path from this query"
raccoon

Re: Exclude path from results (single use only)

Post by raccoon »

Add the search term:
!"X:\Path that\I want to\Exclude\"
No results from that path will appear as long as the term is present.
Note the bang prefix (!), and the encapsulating double quotes (").

Example:
Pretty Ladies !"E:\Images\My wife\"
juzzle

Post by juzzle »

That's a good feature thanks, but unfortunately it's a great deal more work than context menu option.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

You can create new Bookmarks (Menu -> Bookmarks) and Filters (Menu -> Search -> Organize Filters) to create favorite search terms or add common filtering (search terms) to your search terms. Eg: Photos, Videos, Exclude Wife.

You can also quickly select a previous search query from the drop-down History. Make sure you have 'Enable search history' enabled in Options.
juzzle

Post by juzzle »

They are also great tips - I love Bookmarks!, however this is not the type of exclude that I wish to undertake on a permanent basis via a) Exclude List, or b) Bookmarks. As stated in the subject it is single use only (ie, not likely to ever need such an exclude again).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

This was suggested before a couple of times (for example here). So It is already on the radar, although unsure what the user interface is going to be.
juzzle

Post by juzzle »

This was suggested before a couple of times (for example here). So It is already on the radar,
That's great news!
.. although unsure what the user interface is going to be.
I was thinking that it would just be a case of right-clicking on the path field to append the active query with say "!C:\ExcludeThisPath" and that it would not require user interface elements (except for a context menu), as follows:

The beauty of this approach is that the user can tweak the resulting query in the Find line if need be
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

juzzle wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:57 pm I was thinking that it would just be a case of right-clicking on the path field to append the active query with say "!C:\ExcludeThisPath" and that it would not require user interface elements (except for a context menu)
That's how I understood your sugeestion (and that is what I suggested too, btw :)). What I meant is that there were other suggestions for excluding paths, using a different approach. We can only make suggestions; it is up to @void if, how and when they are implemented.
If it gets implemented through the context menu, a "Search only in this path" entry would be welcome too (I might have suggested that before; can't remember)

In the meantime ... keep those good suggestions coming! :D