Tips for new user: Folder shortcuts, and possible dual/multi- view for copying/comparison

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
gr.rad

Tips for new user: Folder shortcuts, and possible dual/multi- view for copying/comparison

Post by gr.rad »

I'm a new user to Everything and I wish to invest more time and knowledge into harnessing the true power of it. I'm an automotive software engineer and I often have to work with lots of files at once often scattered all over the place. Right now, I use Keybreeze to define keyword shortcuts to folders that opens up a Windows File explorer. The problem is that the file windows explorers are all over the place and I easily lose track of where they are. It's also a pain to have to navigate up and down folders.

I was hoping to use Everything to replace my above method. So my questions are:
1) Is it possible to define some sort of shortcut that will quickly navigate to a folder? eg: type "cdd" in the window and it will automatically go into my D:\Foo\Bar\CDD folder?
2) Is there a way to setup Everything with dual, or even triple windows so I can easily copy/compare files by selecting beyond/compare? This is what I like about File Commander, but I like Everything a lot more
therube

Re: Tips for new user: Folder shortcuts, and possible dual/multi- view for copying/comparison

Post by therube »

1) change directory - from a command-line, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8242.

Suppose something like that could be wiped up for the GUI?
NotNull

Re: Tips for new user: Folder shortcuts, and possible dual/multi- view for copying/comparison

Post by NotNull »

In Everything, you can search for CDD.
When you doubleclick the "D:\Foo\Bar\CDD" folder (or press ENTER), that folder will open in File Explorer.

If you want to open folders like "D:\Foo\Bar\CDD" in File Commander instead:
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Context Menu
  • Click on Open (Folders)
  • In the Command field, enter:

Code: Select all

$exec("C:\path to your\File Commander\fcw.exe" -l "%1")

That will open File Commander with that folder in the left pane (replace -l with -r to open it in the right pane)

BTW: There are other file managers that support more than 2 panes, like Q-Dir (up to 4 panes) and Tablacus Explorer (also up to 4 panes). There is also a (Russian) file manager that supported up to 16 panes (!!), but I can't remember it's name. It is also no longer under development.

EDIT: the 16-pane file manager is called Just Manager. Last update was in 2014.