Depend on Windows Indexing?

General discussion related to "Everything".
pi1ot

Depend on Windows Indexing?

Post by pi1ot »

I have not yet installed Everything but it sounds like an amazing tool.

1) Does Everything depend on Windows Indexing or can I turn off the Windows Indexing service?

2) In the Everything FAQ: "Does Everything search file contents?
Yes, "Everything" can search file content with the content: search function. File content is not indexed, searching content is slow."

Doesn't Windows Search search file contents and that seems pretty fast? Will Everything search contents just as fast?
NotNull

Re: Depend on Windows Indexing?

Post by NotNull »

pi1ot wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:18 pm 1) Does Everything depend on Windows Indexing or can I turn off the Windows Indexing service?
Everything does not depend on Windows Indexing.
In the past I turned off Windows Indexing and got no more "typing commands after pressing the Win key".
But Microsoft messes a lot with how their searching works (remember Cortana?), so I don't know what the current state is.

pi1ot wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:18 pm 2)Doesn't Windows Search search file contents and that seems pretty fast? Will Everything search contents just as fast?

Windows Search indexes content and *should* give you fast results. Everything has to read the content of files "on-the-fly" from disk and is therefor slower.
The best way to improve search speed is to limit the number of files which contents have to be read.
This can be done by specifying one or more of the following:
- a folder
- certain file extensions
- a specific data range (like:newer than 3 days old)
- maximum filesize
- and some other filters
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

pi1ot wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:18 pm I have not yet installed Everything but it sounds like an amazing tool.

1) Does Everything depend on Windows Indexing or can I turn off the Windows Indexing service?

2) In the Everything FAQ: "Does Everything search file contents?
Yes, "Everything" can search file content with the content: search function. File content is not indexed, searching content is slow."

Doesn't Windows Search search file contents and that seems pretty fast? Will Everything search contents just as fast?
I use Everything for normal searches by name and other criteria integrated in Total Commander.
But if I search for content I prefer Windows indexing which provides instant results for most file types.
From the Windows results list I can go directly into Total commander positioned to the found result.
On actual hardware there is no reason to stop Windows indexing, I even let it index my whole disk
which is possible on actual Windows 10 versions.
pi1ot

Post by pi1ot »

NotNull wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:24 pm Windows Search indexes content and *should* give you fast results. Everything has to read the content of files "on-the-fly" from disk and is therefor slower.
The best way to improve search speed is to limit the number of files which contents have to be read.
This can be done by specifying one or more of the following:
- a folder
- certain file extensions
- a specific data range (like:newer than 3 days old)
- maximum filesize
- and some other filters
The reason why I plan to disable Windows Indexing and want to use Everything is for privacy reasons. I can run Everything and store the DB on an encrypted drive. I cannot with Windows Indexing, which is why I won't be using it.

Thank you for the advice. I really only need content indexing for DOC, TXT, XLS/X, etc. Are you saying I can enable content indexing in Everything for just a few file types?

Thank you for your help!
pi1ot

Post by pi1ot »

horst.epp wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:15 pm I use Everything for normal searches by name and other criteria integrated in Total Commander.
But if I search for content I prefer Windows indexing which provides instant results for most file types.
From the Windows results list I can go directly into Total commander positioned to the found result.
On actual hardware there is no reason to stop Windows indexing, I even let it index my whole disk
which is possible on actual Windows 10 versions.
Thank you for your input. My reasons for not using Windows Indexing is for privacy reasons. I plan to run Everything in portable mode and run it from an encrypted drive. The Everything index file will also be on the encrypted drive.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

pi1ot wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:31 am Are you saying I can enable content indexing in Everything for just a few file types?
Everything does not store content in it's database and has to open each file and read it to find text.

If you want to search for .txt files that contain "hello",you can search for:
ext:txt content:hello
But it is better to specify more filters - as mentioned before - so Everything has less files to read.
pi1ot

Post by pi1ot »

NotNull wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:26 pm Everything does not store content in it's database and has to open each file and read it to find text.

If you want to search for .txt files that contain "hello",you can search for:
ext:txt content:hello
But it is better to specify more filters - as mentioned before - so Everything has less files to read.
Perfect! I'm upgrading my computer after 6 yrs and the new one is hexacore, 12 threaads, and one of the fastest NVMe drives with 4 PCIe lanes, so hopefully that should help speed things along. :) I won't be ready to test for at least a month, but I'll be happy to report back.