Weird problem, cannot see results when second word is added to the search field

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
soaper

Weird problem, cannot see results when second word is added to the search field

Post by soaper »

I am running 1.4.1.895 on Windows 10 Pro x64.

Here's the problem: When I search for the word cryptography, I get more than 2,600 results on my system. Some of those results are pdf files.

When I search for cryptography pdf (one space between the two words), nothing shows up.

Right before this problem started happening, I was trying somethings, such as pdf|epub, which showed both pdf files and epub files successfully. Afterwards, I remember entering some CTRL key by mistake (either CTRL+Y or CTRL+R, possibly, but I'm not sure). Then this problem started happening.

Also, cryptography ext:pdf does not help either.

I did a force rebuild, then did an exit and re-launch, but no joy.

Any help would be appreciated.
soaper

Re: Weird problem, cannot see results when second word is added to the search field

Post by soaper »

OK, the problem went away once I did another CTRL+R.

I checked the keyboard shortcuts and it showed that CTRL+R toggles regex.

http://www.voidtools.com/support/everyt ... shortcuts/

Now, why toggling regex stops the space (AND) from working, is beyond me! :)

Also, if a shortcut changes how the system behaves in a fundamental way, as in the case of CTRL+R, there should be a PROMINENT visual indicator in the UI that indicates this.

Thanks.
NotNull

Re: Weird problem, cannot see results when second word is added to the search field

Post by NotNull »

soaper wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:20 pm Also, if a shortcut changes how the system behaves in a fundamental way, as in the case of CTRL+R, there should be a PROMINENT visual indicator in the UI that indicates this.
The interface of Everything isn't very "loud" (subtle and elegant are words that come to my mind), but you can find your visual indicator on the right side of the statusbar.
Double-click any keyword - except for the size indicator - there to disable it.
A right-click on the statusbar will bring up a quick-menu to enable/disble some settings, among other actions. Those are accessible from the main menu too.

Now, why toggling regex stops the space (AND) from working, is beyond me!
When regex is enabled, that will search for a literal pattern "cryptography pdf" in all your files and would find "enhanced cryptography pdf parser.doc" but not "enhanced cryptography parser.pdf" or "enhanced cryptography pdf parser.doc" (3 spaces before pdf)
soaper

Post by soaper »

NotNull, thank you so much for this very informative message. I wasn't aware of the status bar indicators. Sure enough, I toggled CTRL+R and the REGEX indicator showed up.

One reason I missed it is because I have a 32'' monitor. I normally don't "see" the lower righthand corner of the UI. FWIW.

I really like the quick-menu through right-clicking on the status bar that shows the current configuration. Very nice.

Again, thanks so much.
soaper

Post by soaper »

There should be a points system in the forum so I can upvote you and thank you.

If there already is, and I don't know about it, well, then I'm embarrassed again, I guess! :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

soaper wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 pm If there already is, and I don't know about it, well, then I'm embarrassed again, I guess! :)
Don't be .. it is *the* most common reported issue here on the forums. You are in good company :D

IIRC, in the next major version of Everything (1.5 or 2.0; still under heavy development), those keyboard shortcuts will be disabled by default.

BTW: there is no upvote option here, but I will accept it gladly anyway :) Thanks!
soaper

Post by soaper »

:thumbsup:

Thank you!