Running ETP server at remote location

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
krosal

Running ETP server at remote location

Post by krosal »

I have been running an ETP server at both a corporate location and a remote location (2 ETP servers) for a few months to see how it works and get some feedback from the users. The users really like the Everything Search and have not had any issues what so ever with the application.

We thought that we would try something to reduce network traffic between locations by having the remote users point to the ETP server at the corporate ETP server.

Since we changed the remote users to point to the corporate ETP server we have noticed errors a few times throughout the day. The users are receiving the error 'Disconnected from ETP server: recv failed 10054'

The user has to close the everything and reopen after the message and then it works again.

When using Everything from the remote location and searching against the corporate ETP server it works pretty much the same and is fast.

Is there anything that can be done for this message.

Thank you,
Kelly
krosal

Re: Running ETP server at remote location

Post by krosal »

I know when I setup the ETP Server's for both locations, it was recommended to have (1) ETP server setup at each location. When doing it this way, it has been working flawlessly and quick for every search. My supervisor was wondering if we can do it with just one ETP server to reduce any traffic this may cause.

I have about 540,000 files that I currently have setup to be indexed on both ETP servers every hour. I do not have the 'Attempt to monitor changes' checked. My question is the following;

Does it index all the files every hour or just new and updated files?
Does this generate allot of traffic on the network?

Thank you,
Kelly
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

krosal wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:51 pm Since we changed the remote users to point to the corporate ETP server we have noticed errors a few times throughout the day. The users are receiving the error 'Disconnected from ETP server: recv failed 10054'
[...]
Is there anything that can be done for this message.
That is an FTP error message. Everything's ETP server is based on FTP with - obvious - some extensions.

Most likely there is a network component (router/ firewall/ .. between the ETP Server and the remote location that "kills" the connection. For exaqmple: if you are running on port 21 (FTP port), it will be seen as a FTP connection and the connection will time-out (no "keep-alive" signal)

What port are you using for the corporate ETP Server? Using well known ports (<1024) can lead to issues. Use port 2121 instead if free.

The fact that the users in the "headquarter" don't have these issues make this hypothesis more likely.

BTW: Where is the data that you want to index? Main location? remote location? External?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

krosal wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:32 pm Does it index all the files every hour or just new and updated files?
Yes.When using folder indexing, Everything has to check all files for changes. There is no "list of changes" that can be used.
Does this generate allot of traffic on the network?
Hard to tell. Will depend on a lot of things. Amongst which the available bandwidth.
It will also generate activity on the fileserver (to check for newer the files).
krosal

Post by krosal »

Yes, I have the ETP server port set to 2121. As I mentioned, Everything has been running flawlessly from the (2) locations I have the ETP server running on.
I will have to check out our main firewall system we have in place.

I did setup a 'rule' for our antivirus application, but that didn't change anything.

I'm currently setting up a network traffic monitoring system and hoping to see how much traffic, compared to other traffic is really being generate from the EPT search.

Everyone really likes this search application!

Thank you,
Kelly
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

It is not the ETP search that generates much network tarffic; it transfers just one page of information over the network (roughly speaking: the part that you see on the scen in the client).

Scanning the file shares on the other hand can be quite network intensive. That's why I asked where the data is located (a local scan is less of a load for the network than over (the presumably smaller) bandwidth to the remote location.
krosal

Post by krosal »

there are 12 search locations on the network, where 11 are at corporate the last search is at the remote location.

So I currently have an ETP at both the corporate and remote location with the same 12 searches taking place,

Thank you
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

If that didn't give you any problems, cutting the network traffic roughly in half (by eliminating one ETP server) certainly will further reduce possible problems !