Finding & deleting duplicates

General discussion related to "Everything".
phototaker

Finding & deleting duplicates

Post by phototaker »

I love using your program because its so quick.

I know that I'm not very knowledge able about such things but it seems to me that it might be possible to build upon what's already there to have the program do a comparison of what's it finds so that it could look for & possible delete any duplicate files that it finds. Even better if this hasn't already been considered would be for any list of duplicates to give you the ability to select the first or seconds duplicate & pre select them for deletion.

If this enquiry is beyond the scope of this program is there any other program that you would like to recommend to do this?

Thanks in advance
void
Developer

Re: Finding & deleting duplicates

Post by void »

Please try searching for:

Code: Select all

dupe:
This will list all files and folders in the Everything index that share the same filename.

It works best if you combine it with an extension, and sort by size eg:

Code: Select all

*.mp4 dupe:
Please note: although the filenames may be duplicated, the file contents may actually differ.
Please use dupe: as a rough guide for duplicated files, as it doesn't actually check file contents.

While not as useful as other programs that check file content, this should help you find a few large duplicates easily and quickly.

The next release of Everything will support sizedupe:/dmdupe: which will allow you to find duplicated files and folders by size/date.
Just Visiting

Post by Just Visiting »

How do we search for duplicates based on file size?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try the following:

In Everything, search for the following:

sizedupe:

Sort results by size descending.

-or-

In the Everything 1.5 alpha, right click the Size column header and click Find Size Duplicates...
Find Duplicates
aviasd

Post by aviasd »

Please note: although the filenames may be duplicated, the file contents may actually differ.
Please use dupe: as a rough guide for duplicated files, as it doesn't actually check file contents.

While not as useful as other programs that check file content, this should help you find a few large duplicates easily and quickly.

I haven't investigated much but using the sha-256 property and using "find Sha-256 duplicates" in the column context menu with combination with sizedupe:, one could search quite reliably for duplicates with same content.
Maybe slow though.