Enable tracking of drives by volume label or serial no

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Jerry

Enable tracking of drives by volume label or serial no

Post by Jerry »

With so many drives being attached and detached, my drive letters often get scrambled from what they where previously. Please provide an option to track drives only by volume label or serial number, instead of the Windows drive letter so that no full rescanning occurs should Everything start up with the same drives attached as before but with different letters. (I know I can mount the drives to folder paths instead of letters, but that's less convenient to manage.)

Note that many file management applications, such as XYplorer, AJCSync & Backup4All provide this capability. It should be the norm for any such application in my opinion. Thanks.
Last edited by Jerry on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: Enable tracking of drives by volume label or serial no

Post by therube »

In the meantime, you might want to see what USBDLM - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows may be able to do for you (along with some explanation on why & some tips that might help).

(24. No wonder you want something like this ;-).)
Jerry

Re: Enable tracking of drives by volume label or serial no

Post by Jerry »

therube wrote:In the meantime, you might want to see what USBDLM - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows may be able to do for you (along with some explanation on why & some tips that might help).

(24. No wonder you want something like this ;-).)
I'll look into that utility, thanks. I actually work with over 30 drives, but usually there are 24 attached and all are terabytes (1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, and recently 5 TB). Everything is absolutely indispensable to me and has worked without a hitch with so many drives and files -- except for the unnecessary full rescanning during drive removal and attaching and occasional drive letter issues.