Everything Server / Network Index questionss and debugging?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Jolly

Everything Server / Network Index questionss and debugging?

Post by Jolly »

I'm trying to understand how the network index and everything's server work and why I might be missing files.
I have two pcs, both with 1.50.1373a installed, the network index and everything server configured, and set to index each other.

PC1 has a testfile I created yesterday.
PC2 can see files on PC1, including files from today. The newest file it seems to be able to see from PC1 is an hour old.
However, PC2 can't find the testfile I created on PC1 yesterday. PC1 sees it fine.

1) How's the architecture for the network index work? Does Everything Download the entire index from the Server periodically? Does it send queries to the server directly?

2) How do you query the network index directly? I can use the UI to browse the folders and networks but I'm wondering if there's a more Direct way. I did find the column for network index host which is great. PC1 does seem to be getting realtime updates from PC1, but not vice versa. I tried networkindex: as a guess

3)How do we deal with recursion? It appears that PC1 is indexing the drives from PC2. PC2 indexes the drives from PC1, including the drives that PC1 has indexed from PC2.
PC2 (tiny). PC2 has an A: drive (AAA). PC1 does not.
PC1:
Screenshot 2024-05-06 161650.png
Screenshot 2024-05-06 161650.png (40.28 KiB) Viewed 273 times
PC2:
Screenshot_20240506_041215.png
Screenshot_20240506_041215.png (67.37 KiB) Viewed 273 times
4) Is it possible to have the local name + index name show up in the folders list, not just the indexname?

5) Remapping + include all. I see we can remap network locations by specifying it under the network index, but is there a way to remap everything, or remap specified locations while still including everything including future locations?
void
Developer

Re: Everything Server / Network Index questionss and debugging?

Post by void »

I have two pcs, both with 1.50.1373a installed, the network index and everything server configured, and set to index each other.
This will not work.

Both PCs will be forever reindexing.

I recommend running only one dedicated Everything Server that indexes both PCs.
Have all your clients include this one Everything Server.

If you must run multiple servers, make sure they only index local files and not other Everything servers.
With the exception of your main Everything Server. -Your main Everything Server can index other Everything Servers.

You can run a server instance only on both PCs.
Everything.exe -instance "Everything Server"

1) How's the architecture for the network index work? Does Everything Download the entire index from the Server periodically? Does it send queries to the server directly?
Everything clients will make a copy of the entire network index once.
The Everything server maintains an index journal (Index -> Index Journal) to keep your clients up to date.

2) How do you query the network index directly? I can use the UI to browse the folders and networks but I'm wondering if there's a more Direct way. I did find the column for network index host which is great. PC1 does seem to be getting realtime updates from PC1, but not vice versa. I tried networkindex: as a guess
ETP does the search server side.
Everything server/network index does the search client side.

3)How do we deal with recursion? It appears that PC1 is indexing the drives from PC2. PC2 indexes the drives from PC1, including the drives that PC1 has indexed from PC2.
Not supported.
PC1 will index PC2, PC1 index changes, PC2 will re-index PC1, PC2 indexes changes, PC1 will reindex PC2 forever and ever..
Setup a dedicated Everything Server that manages both PCs.
You can run a server instance only on both PCs.

4) Is it possible to have the local name + index name show up in the folders list, not just the indexname?
Everything uses the following title for network indexes:
host-name (Drive letter:)

I will consider an option to show the label from the server side.

5) Remapping + include all. I see we can remap network locations by specifying it under the network index, but is there a way to remap everything, or remap specified locations while still including everything including future locations?
Currently, you will need to define all the remappings.
I recommend doing this once on the server side.
eg: D:\Media => \\server\media

I will consider support for rewriting your paths with regex.
Jolly

Post by Jolly »

If I use ETP server, then I'm only seeing the remote files?

Maybe I'm approaching this all the wrong way? Goal is I have a laptop and desktop, I want to search files across both machines.
In the past I just added others drives as a custom folder "\\ip\c", but I thought using Network Index/ Everything Server would be more efficient.
I've also got a truenas fileshare that's usually online.

Whats the best way to do this?
void
Developer

Post by void »

If I use ETP server, then I'm only seeing the remote files?
Correct.
You cannot index an ETP server.
So it's either search the ETP server or local database.

Maybe I'm approaching this all the wrong way? Goal is I have a laptop and desktop, I want to search files across both machines.
In the past I just added others drives as a custom folder "\\ip\c", but I thought using Network Index/ Everything Server would be more efficient.
I've also got a truenas fileshare that's usually online.

Whats the best way to do this?
On the Desktop:
Run another Everything Server instance.
For example:
(create a shortcut to this in shell:startup with the -startup command line option)
Setup this instance to index your local drives only and start the Everything Server.

On the Laptop:
Run another Everything Server instance.
For example:
(create a shortcut to this in shell:startup with the -startup command line option)
Setup this instance to index your local drives only and start the Everything Server.

Both the desktop and laptop should now be hosting an Everything Server.

On the Desktop:
Add your Everything Server on the laptop to your main instance under Tools -> Options -> Network indexes.
Have the main instance also index your local drives.

On the Laptop:
Add your Everything Server on the desktop to your main instance under Tools -> Options -> Network indexes.
Have the main instance also index your local drives.