Help please

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jzbell

Help please

Post by jzbell »

Until about a week ago when an update arrived on my pc for Everything Search, this utility worked so perfectly for me on my Windows pc. Since that time, it just hasn't work very well at all.

I have the C: and E: (External drive) that I want it to search (it used to do this), and I cannot get it to scan the E: drive 1/2 the time. Sometimes it does but mostly not.

Is there anyway you can tell me the settings that I need to have set so it will scan both the hard drive and my external - as it used to do.

I have played with the settings mentioned to me in another post and it worked for a few, but just is very frustrating as it won't pick up the E: drive very often.

I don't know how often I should have it rescan to get the work projects I continually have. I used to have it set at 3 a.m. daily, but that hasn't helped. I've tried every 2 minutes, and that doesn't seem to work either. It used to show the files immediately after I put them on the E: drive, but that is a no more thing.

I have used this utility for eons and the latest and greatest just doesn't do the job that the older one did. TY for any help.
void
Developer

Re: Help please

Post by void »

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

To add your external drive (E: drive) to your Everything index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your E: drive and click OK.
  • Click OK.
jzbell

Post by jzbell »

OK -- everything it already set as you instructed me to do. I think it's all in the scan business.

I changed it to scan every 2 minutes, and everything will show up but that is way to much to scan -- I think. Won't that wear out the computer (LOL).

What is your recommendation for the scan time. If I click Never scan, I am guessing that anything new won't show up.

So, guess I need a recommendation of how often to scan, because when it does, it then shows everything, but I don't want to spend my life scanning.
void
Developer

Post by void »

What is your recommendation for the scan time.
Daily at 3am.
If your PC is not on at 3am, Everything will perform the missed scan as soon as you start Everything or when your PC wakes from sleep.

If I click Never scan, I am guessing that anything new won't show up.
Everything will detect all changes while Everything is running.
Changes to your folder index while Everything is not running will be lost.
jzbell

Post by jzbell »

I so very much appreciate your quick response to my questions. I will reset it to 3 a.m. as that was what I was used to. Just wasn't used to searching for something, knowing it was there, and new things not appearing -- evidently until after that 3 a.m. scan. That's what is new for me. Before they were there instantly - and scan was set at 3 a.m. as well. Doesn't matter -- as long as I can find my files, because Microsoft's search is the pits. Thank you again.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure Tools -> Options -> Folders -> E: -> Attempt to monitor changes is checked.

Please make sure Tools -> Options -> Folders -> E: -> Fast rescan is unchecked.
jzbell

Post by jzbell »

Got it! TY again.
jzbell

Post by jzbell »

Guess I don't have it -- I do not have this option - - - Please make sure Tools -> Options -> Folders -> E: -> Fast rescan is unchecked.

The first one I do, and it is set as you say to, but the 2nd one - no where in that area.