Path column drag & drop

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ady

Path column drag & drop

Post by ady »

I have a suggestion regarding drag & dropping from the "Path" column.

Version 1.4 does not allow d&d from the "Path" column, only from the Name column.
Version 1.5 alpha does allow d&d from "Path", however what gets d&d-ed is the corresponding file not the path.

I would suggest that when done from the Path column, d&d to act on the path instead of the file itself, or at least make this a configuration option.

This is based on a real use case where I use Everything and WinMerge together: first I find one or more files with Everything, then I diff the containing directories using WinMerge.

Currently, once I found the files with Everything, I have to manually enter or copy and paste the paths to WinMerge for diffing.

Ideally, since WinMerge accepts files and paths as d&d destination, I would like to be able to directly drag the path(s) from Everyhthing onto WinMerge for diffing.

Thanks
NotNull

Re: Path column drag & drop

Post by NotNull »

Lucky for you someone else had the same idea adn @void implemented experimental support for this feature.

See here.
(don't forget to leave feedback!)
ady

Post by ady »

Wow!

Thank you for the info. This is very useful.

BTW, you say "Don't forget to leave feedback". I'm not sure where exactly and for what - for the post, for the app, for something else? Couldn't find anything on the forum.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

For the new Path column drag & drop feature.
As it is still experimental, feedback is appreciated and will help to make it better.
(in this thread or the linked one is perfectly fine)
ady

Post by ady »

The new feature to allow d&d-ing of the path when started from the "Path" column instead of the file name, addresses a practical need and I find it very useful

Generally speaking I'm very impressed with this tool. There is nothing out there that comes even close to it in terms of performance and functionality. What is quite surprising is that it is far better than even the built-in Windows file search functionality (that seems like a low bar given the state of things, but one would expect that such core OS functionality would be much better natively).

Thank you!