Improved Contextual Search

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
santilli

Improved Contextual Search

Post by santilli »

Currently the search tool is designed to infer what the user is looking for based on the input, for instance if I start with a letter followed by a colon, it knows I'm looking for files in a specific drive. If I type "mp4" or "png" it will show all indexed files with mp4 or png extensions. I think it works great, but I'd like to see it being improved to work with other properties, such as file size or MD5.
Everything surprisingly has turned out to be a great tool for spotting duplicate videos, I have managed to set it to index properties such as MD5, length and video format.
Currently to filter my search results based on either of those three properties, I'm required to start by typing either
MD5:
length:
or
size:
which I'm happy to do if it means being able to do all the work with a single program.
But it would be neat to have those custom indexed properties to be identified by the search algorithm the same way the other mentioned properties do. For instance, when I type a random number such as 13258795 the app only performs a name search, but it could also be performing a size search.
Another example, if I just search for
1:36
it could infer I'm performing a length search, and show all videos with that length without the need to type "length:" before the searched term.