Set File Time - ideas for improvement

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
runmode

Set File Time - ideas for improvement

Post by runmode »

Hi Void,

this is about menue item Edit - Advanced - Set file time...
I use it with hotkey Alt-T (for Timestamp) assigned to.

Having tested the functionality of the feature with Version 1.5.0.1372a, I take the opportunity for a feedback:

Setting the three time stamps in relation to each other does'nt work one step. For example, to set the date created, and the date modified to become the date created and the date accessed to become the date modified, it is necessary to call the dialogue 3 times manually. This could be one in al loop or in one pass.

The <get-date-created : clipboard:> phrase (and variations related) could be supported by a dropdown selector, and a popup hint to copy a single source file to the clipboard. (remark to my writing: there should be no space before 'clipboard' but I don't know how to escape the colon in phpBB)

The custom date could be supported by a date selector component.

The custom date could be supported by a syntax detection-and-convert procedure to allow other formats.

The dashboard layout could be a compact matrix instead of a list.

The dialogue could be renamed to 'Set Timestamp', as it is applicable to folders as well.

Just ideas! Thank you for EVERYTHING, and all the best!
void
Developer

Re: Set File Time - ideas for improvement

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback runmode,

Setting the three time stamps in relation to each other does'nt work one step. For example, to set the date created, and the date modified to become the date created and the date accessed to become the date modified, it is necessary to call the dialogue 3 times manually. This could be one in al loop or in one pass.
My intention is the user would only select one of these options or would set a custom timestamp for all fields.

Setting the date created timestamp to the date modified timestamp from the file instead of the newly set date modified timestamp is the intended behavior.
You'll need to do the 3 passes if you want to set the timestamps like this.

The <get-date-created : clipboard:> phrase (and variations related) could be supported by a dropdown selector, and a popup hint to copy a single source file to the clipboard.
I will consider presets and previous timestamp format history.
Kind-of like the advanced renamer..

The custom date could be supported by a date selector component.
I have put on my TODO list to add a date select button.

The custom date could be supported by a syntax detection-and-convert procedure to allow other formats.
The next alpha update will have support for localized date/time formats.

eg: 25/04/2024 19:01

The dashboard layout could be a compact matrix instead of a list.
I will consider a matrix layout.
It might be a little overkill.

I just wanted an easy way for users to make files from the future have sane timestamps.
eg: set date modified to now.

The dialogue could be renamed to 'Set Timestamp', as it is applicable to folders as well.
I will consider it.
I'm just using the name from the API call SetFileTime (which also works on folders)

Thank you for the suggestions.