Search issue, change in 1.5 vs 1.4

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
vertigo

Search issue, change in 1.5 vs 1.4

Post by vertigo »

Just recently started using 1.5 and, despite configuring the settings as closely as I could to how I had them in 1.4, I've found certain types of searches I regularly do don't work like they did/do in 1.4. For example, if I want to find all files named "File Name.txt" under a specific directory and its subdirectories, I'd search for the following:

Code: Select all

D:\Directory\*File*.txt
In 1.4, this shows all of these files, e.g.

D:\Directory\File Name.txt
D:\Directory\Subdir 1\File Name.txt
D:\Directory\Subdir 2\File Name.txt
etc
But in 1.5, it only shows results under the directory included in the search, i.e. only the first result above. And if I do this search

D:\Directory\*\*File*.txt
I only get results where matching files are one directory down.

It appears that once a path separator (slash) is included in the search, it changes how the search is performed and the wildcard/asterisk no longer includes slashes like it did in 1.4. I've gone through the settings and can't find anything to get the old behavior back. It seems like this is a change in the search logic, and unfortunately it significantly reduces the ability to find things, and therefore Everything's usefulness. I don't want to go back to 1.4, as I'm really liking many of the improvements in 1.5, but this is a bit of a deal breaker.

I've found if I use two asterisks (e.g. **) then it works, but this shouldn't be necessary and makes it more cumbersome, and that's assuming I remember to do it. Is there a setting I'm missing, or can the behavior be changed, at least via a new option, to get the old behavior back?
void
Developer

Re: Search issue, change in 1.5 vs 1.4

Post by void »

• In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    wildcard
  • Select: wildcards_star_all
  • Set the value to: true
  • Click OK.
* wildcard change
vertigo

Re: Search issue, change in 1.5 vs 1.4

Post by vertigo »

Perfect, just what I was hoping for. I searched the advanced settings for "separator" and "path" but not "wildcard." Thanks!