Few questions and maybe bugs

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
vsub

Few questions and maybe bugs

Post by vsub »

1.Did something change in the latest version or somehow I change it that way and forget
When I open bookmarks,it replaces the current tab(I think it was opening a new tab before)
2.The menu "Restore Closed Windows" does not work if "hide_on_close" is enabled even if you close 10 windows
3.Maybe I am not using it the way I am supposed to(since it's a new function),but no matter what I try,when I File=>Exit and run Everything again,all of the session hostory is gone(cannot restore tab\windows or sessions)
The "Restore Previous Session" menu is never active(I am using the everything service)
4.Is it possible to change the default menu for Find Search History(when I double click on an item to open it in a new tab and don't close the window...I can do that by right clicking but double clicking opens the search in the current tab and closes the window)
NotNull

Re: Few questions and maybe bugs

Post by NotNull »

Haven't looked at sessions yet, so a partial answer:

1. Same as previous version: Open opens in current tab, CTRL + Open opens in new tab, SHIFT + Open opens in new window.
4. You can change this behaviour under Menu => Tools => Options => Advanced, changing the following settings:
- open_search_action
- ctrl_open_search_action
- shift_open_search_action
2. Maybe because it isn't actually closed, but hidden?
vsub

Post by vsub »

2.Everything keeps up to one closed window as hidden but closing 10 windows still does not keep even one of them in the history
4.The result is opened in a new tab but the "Find Search History" window is still getting closed when I double click
Also this actually fixes the bookmarks problem,they are opened now in a new tab
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

As said: I can only partially answer your questions.

2. What is your max_hidden_windows set to?
vsub

Post by vsub »

It is set to 1,I set it to 10 and still nothing
As long as hide on close is enabled,Everything will not keep history of closed windows
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback vsub,

1.Did something change in the latest version or somehow I change it that way and forget
When I open bookmarks,it replaces the current tab(I think it was opening a new tab before)
Please reset your open search actions under Tools -> Options -> Advanced:

open_search_action (replaces bookmark_open_action)
ctrl_open_search_action (replaces ctrl_bookmark_open_action)
shift_open_search_action (replaces shift_bookmark_open_action)

I should have added aliases for these. (I will add aliases)
Sorry for the inconvenience.

2.The menu "Restore Closed Windows" does not work if "hide_on_close" is enabled even if you close 10 windows
Restore Closed Windows currently does not work with hidden windows.
I will look into adding support to restore hidden windows.

3.Maybe I am not using it the way I am supposed to(since it's a new function),but no matter what I try,when I File=>Exit and run Everything again,all of the session hostory is gone(cannot restore tab\windows or sessions)
The "Restore Previous Session" menu is never active(I am using the everything service)
Everything 1.5a will create a Session-1.5a.json in %APPDATA%\Everything when:
  • Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Session store is true.
    -and-
  • You made a change in your search box.
Is Tools -> Options -> General -> Store settings and data in %APPDATA% enabled?

Does this Session-1.5a.json file exist in %APPDATA%\Everything ?

The restore previous session option is only shown if the Session-1.5a.backup.json file exist in %APPDATA%\Everything
The Session-1.5a.backup.json is copied from Session-1.5a.json when you start Everything.
Does this file exist?

The previous session can only be restored once per session.
My guess is you restored the session already, but sessions are empty because hide_on_close is enabled.

4.Is it possible to change the default menu for Find Search History(when I double click on an item to open it in a new tab and don't close the window...I can do that by right clicking but double clicking opens the search in the current tab and closes the window)
Set your open search actions under Tools -> Options -> Advanced:

open_search_action
vsub

Post by vsub »

Everything is in Program Files\Tools\Everything(in portable mode...since I started use it)and everything is saved without problems but it seems the session feature works only if everything is set to save the settings in appdata
Enabling that option does not save nor move my existing bookmarks\search history and probably other things so they are not loaded.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

vsub wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:31 am Everything is in Program Files\Tools\Everything(in portable mode...since I started use it)and everything is saved without problems but it seems the session feature works only if everything is set to save the settings in appdata
Enabling that option does not save nor move my existing bookmarks\search history and probably other things so they are not loaded.
That's a strange place for a portable version ?
Program Files is write protected by default and Everything should not be run as Admin.
I have a true portable version installed under c:\tools\Everything.
"Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" is NOT enabled.
All config files are stored in the Everything dir, including the session files.

Post by tuska »

vsub wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:31 am Everything is in Program Files\Tools\Everything(in portable mode...since I started use it)
and everything is saved without problems but it seems the session feature works only if everything is set to save the settings in appdata
Installation path: C:\Program Files\Tools\Everything\
For security reasons, "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" are read-only for users without elevated admin privileges -->
✅ Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything

C:\Program Files\Tools\Everything\NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE - (OPTION: Remove suffix -1.5a in the file names and in the Everything Service)
C:\Program Files\Tools\Everything\Everything64.exe

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Everything\Everything.db

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Bookmarks.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Bookmarks.backup.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\es.ini
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.ini
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.backup.ini
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Filters.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Filters.backup.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Index Journal.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Macros.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Omit Results.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Plugins.ini
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Run History.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Run History.backup.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Search History.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Search History.backup.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Session.backup.json
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Temporary Excludes.csv

Menu "Bookmarks" > Organize Bookmarks... > Import...
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Bookmarks.csv > click on button "OK"
and so on...

Portable Version (example): C:\Tools\Everything\ ... on system drive C(!)
🔲 Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything

C:\Tools\Everything\NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE - (OPTION: Remove suffix -1.5a in the file names and in the Everything Service)
C:\Tools\Everything\Everything64.exe
C:\Tools\Everything\Everything.db
C:\Tools\Everything\Everything.ini
C:\Tools\Everything\Bookmarks.csv
C:\Tools\Everything\Filters.csv
and so on...
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything is in Program Files\Tools\Everything(in portable mode...since I started use it)and everything is saved without problems but it seems the session feature works only if everything is set to save the settings in appdata
Are you running Everything as admin?

If not, The Microsoft Windows VirtualStore will store your settings and data in:

C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Everything 1.5a
vsub

Post by vsub »

void wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:46 am
Are you running Everything as admin?

If not, The Microsoft Windows VirtualStore will store your settings and data in:

C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Everything 1.5a
I am running as normal user(I am actually the admin(admin account)but the program is not running as admin)
Everything is set to store the settings in the program folder and it have been working like that ever since I started using it,always in Program Files\Tools\Everything and I have never had any writing problems to that folder but it seems the session data is another thing

Is there is some way to check if everything fails to save the session folder because of permissions by using the console\cmd or do some logging

Edit:When I open the console,do some searching and then exit Everything,I dont see anything in the console about saving the session
tuska

Post by tuska »

vsub wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:08 pm ...
I am running as normal user(I am actually the admin(admin account)but the program is not running as admin) ...
:?:

2vsub
When you call up the "Help" - "Troubleshooting Information" menu, what is displayed?

Example (as it looks like in my case):
I use Everything as a user and NOT as an administrator!

Code: Select all

Everything:	1.5.0.1372a (x64)
Admin:		0
Service:	1 (connected / installed and running)
Command line:	-startup
Binary:		C:\Everything\Everything64.exe
Profile:	C:\Everything\Everything.ini
Database:	C:\Everything\Everything.db
Everything.ini

Code: Select all

[Everything]
run_as_admin=0
index_as_admin=0
allow_admin_options=1