Offline volumes not in included in database still in "Local NTFS Volumes" list

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jimspoon

Offline volumes not in included in database still in "Local NTFS Volumes" list

Post by jimspoon »

Somehow I accumulated a long list of drives in my "Local NTFS Volumes" list (Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS), most shown as Offline.

I went through most of the offline volumes and unchecked the "Include in database" box, and clicked the Apply button.
Presumably that means these volumes are no longer indexed, resulting in a decrease in the number of the files indexed and a decrease in the size of the database file.

But these Offline volumes remain in my "Local NTFS Volumes" list.
To remove them from this list, I have to select the volume and click the Remove button.
Why, I wonder, does an offline volume continue to appear in the Local NTFS Volumes list after the "include in database" is unchecked?

If I brought the volume online again, I guess it would pop up in the Local NTFS Volumes list and I could check Include in Database button to include it in the database.

I guess it serves as a reminder that this is a volume that was once online, and perhaps once included in the database, and one I could bring online/include again?

Is there any other "remainder" of the volume in Everything, or performance burden, once I've unchecked "include in database"?
Last edited by void on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: formatted
void
Developer

Re: Offline volumes not in included in database still in "Local NTFS Volumes" list

Post by void »

If you uncheck "Automatically remove offline volumes", Everything will keep offline volumes in your index.

You will need to manually remove these volumes:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • For each NTFS volume with (Offline)
    • Click Remove.
  • Click OK.

To automatically remove these volumes:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Check Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • Click OK.

It might be desirable to not index these volumes again, if that is the case, either:

1) Disable Automatically remove offline volumes, select the volume and uncheck include in database.
If you instead removed the volume, Everything may automatically add it again.

2) Disable Automatically include new fixed volumes and disable Automatically include new removable volumes
Select the undesired volume and click Remove.

I guess it serves as a reminder that this is a volume that was once online, and perhaps once included in the database, and one I could bring online/include again?
Basically, Everything will remember not to index this volume again.
It all depends on your Automatically include new fixed/removable volume settings.

Is there any other "remainder" of the volume in Everything, or performance burden, once I've unchecked "include in database"?
None.
These settings are stored in your Everything.ini
There will be no traces of these excluded volumes in your index.
jimspoon

Re: Offline volumes not in included in database still in "Local NTFS Volumes" list

Post by jimspoon »

Ah, thanks Void! I should have figured that out. I've had some problems lately with keystrokes not appearing for a long time in the Everything search box, and in other programs too, but when I shut down Everything that problem went away. Trying to isolate the problem, I "ejected" two external HDD and shut them down, unchecked "Include in Database" for all offline volumes, and finally removed all offline volumes from the Local NTFS Volumes list - by doing so I've reduced the number of indexed files from 33+ million to under 15 million. I'll see if this takes care of my problem of keystrokes not appearing.