Desktop-Laptop-Portable and installed version, same settings on OneDrive?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
eswul62

Desktop-Laptop-Portable and installed version, same settings on OneDrive?

Post by eswul62 »

I have Everything both portable and installed version on my desktop PC and laptop.
Normally Everything on desktop and laptop are -not- running at the same time, they are either running on my desktop or on my laptop.

A few questions
1. Is it possible to have the portable and installed version use the same settings at the same time?
(filters, bookmarks, ini's, they are now in separate folders)

2. Would it be possible to store them on OneDrive, so, no matter whether I am running Everything on desktop or laptop, always the same settings are being used? (maybe by using a copy of those files?)

3. If Everything (setup) is installed from scratch, it'll create basic ini files etc.
How to 'force' Everything to use -existing- settings located on OneDrive? (no changing them)
Maybe apply a change in the registry before installing, maybe Everything asking whether it should use existing settings? I don't know.

Thanks.
void
Developer

Re: Desktop-Laptop-Portable and installed version, same settings on OneDrive?

Post by void »

1. Is it possible to have the portable and installed version use the same settings at the same time?
(filters, bookmarks, ini's, they are now in separate folders)
No.
Everything is not designed to do this.
Both instances will try to write over the same settings and data.

You can launch separate instances with multiple instances.
Each instance has its own settings and data.

2. Would it be possible to store them on OneDrive, so, no matter whether I am running Everything on desktop or laptop, always the same settings are being used? (maybe by using a copy of those files?)
No.
Everything is not designed to do this.
Both instances will try to write over the same settings and data.

3. If Everything (setup) is installed from scratch, it'll create basic ini files etc.
How to 'force' Everything to use -existing- settings located on OneDrive? (no changing them)
Maybe apply a change in the registry before installing, maybe Everything asking whether it should use existing settings? I don't know.
Please try -install-config

Make sure Everything is not running and call:

Everything.exe -install-config "C:\Users\user\OneDrive\Everything\Everything.ini"

This call will return immediately.

-or-

Make sure Everything is not running and copy the ini (and bookmarks/filters/etc...) from a "master settings and data" folder.

For example:
Copy "C:\Users\user\OneDrive\Everything\Everything.ini" "C:\Users\user\appdata\roaming\Everything\Everything.ini"

Please make sure only one instance of Everything writes to your master settings and data folder.

You could try to create a folder junction from:
C:\Users\user\appdata\roaming\Everything
to:
C:\Users\user\OneDrive\Everything
However, this can lead to settings and data corruption when multiple sessions are trying to read and write to this location.
eswul62

Re: Desktop-Laptop-Portable and installed version, same settings on OneDrive?

Post by eswul62 »

Many thanks for your elaborate reply.
I understand, technically not possible.
Bad luck.
I admit: indeed, it was a 'long shot'.

Thanks again.