File - Copy Property

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

File - Copy Property

Post by meteorquake »

* I think as it currently stands File - "Copy Property" is better named "Copy Column Data"
* Some kind of multi-column copier? I think basic is better than none. For example it could have an extra sub entry "Copy Columns 1-n" so one could rearrange the columns and choose that menu item and it would ask which column for n, you'd then rearrange the columns back. Or an entry when you right-click a column called "Copy Columns 1 to this" to get the same effect more naturally. Or enter the column numbers as a sequence e.g. 1,3,2,4 or optionally as named properties. Or (ultimately) a popup where you can select and rearrange columns. But if you're rearranging in the popup then you might almost as well do it on the results list, except the popup could remember the last chosen set. I think the thing would be, whatever is easiest to program would be helpful - it's probably fairly trivial to get in place a very basic multi-column copier as "Copy columns 1-n" or "Copy columns..." 1,3,2,4 which I think (myself) would be extremely useful.
* I think the Copy sub menu would be more naturally looked for under the Edit (not File) menu (as that's where the normal Copy function normally is (and is for Everything)
Cheers, David
void
Developer

Re: File - Copy Property

Post by void »

* I think as it currently stands File - "Copy Property" is better named "Copy Column Data"
I did trial "Copy Column Data" and "Copy Property Value" in earlier alpha builds and ended up using the simplified Copy Property submenu.

* Some kind of multi-column copier?
I recommend copying as TSV and then getting the required data from there.

There's the /copy search command for more control.
There's a lot of work being done on the /copy command for the next alpha update which includes header support and gathering the desired properties values before copying.

* I think the Copy sub menu would be more naturally looked for under the Edit (not File) menu (as that's where the normal Copy function normally is (and is for Everything)
I decided against doing this early in the alpha development.
The Edit menu will be strictly for file/folder objects. (not properties)

Thank you for the suggestions.