Ctrl+Alt+Enter (global) // expand shortcut contexts

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
meteorquake

Ctrl+Alt+Enter (global) // expand shortcut contexts

Post by meteorquake »

I have CTRL+ALT+ENTER (global) set to clear the search box.

When in the Folder bar it doesn't work but toggles the selected folder expansion on/off, which can also be done anyway with unmodified Enter.

It would be good to remove the override there :)

I suppose the Folder Bar action may be hard-coded to check for Enter without examining the modifiers at all, so in the immediate term it could just check for absence of modifiers for that folder expansion toggle.

In the longer term I think it's better still to make the expand-toggle customisable, since it's feasible people might want Enter for some other purpose.

In that respect, currently the keyboard shortcuts can be assigned Global, Search Edit, Results List, and I suppose other contexts could be added such as Folder Bar.
Currently you choose a single context for a shortcut assignment although strictly you might want more than one, which can be achieved by adding multiple shortcuts although I would think that as more contexts are added as options this could become unwieldy since you'd at times want "all but" certain contexts, so that those other certain contexts could be assigned some special action.

d
void
Developer

Re: Ctrl+Alt+Enter (global) // expand shortcut contexts

Post by void »

Folder sidebar keyboard customization is on my TODO list.

For now, these keys are hard coded and cannot be changed.

Enter, Shift + Enter and Ctrl + Enter are all used in expanding/collapsing folders.
Alt + Enter shows properties.
The next alpha update will allow Ctrl + Alt + ENTER to fall through as a global keyboard shortcut.

Thank you for the suggestions.