Enumerate file groups

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
mnicolau

Enumerate file groups

Post by mnicolau »

How to create a column with the groups listed as in the image below and how to use the "Find and Select..." function to select the "File 0" files?

Thanks!
NotNull

Re: Enumerate file groups

Post by NotNull »

I don't have an answer (can't find a way to make this work), but do have questions:

What makes it called "File 0"? the first file in the result list with that specific size?
Can there also be a "File 2" (/3/4/...) in this list?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will add path searching support to Find and select, so you can find and select all your files on your H: drive.

For now, please sort by path, select all files on the H: drive, then resort by size.
mnicolau

Post by mnicolau »

void wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:45 pm I will add path searching support to Find and select, so you can find and select all your files on your H: drive.

For now, please sort by path, select all files on the H: drive, then resort by size.
Thanks for the answers!

I can select files from a given path using regex command \\*path to file* in "File and Select..."

Another question: is there a way to select the last file in each group using regex?
Last edited by mnicolau on Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

No, not with regex.

You'll need to sort, select your files, then resort by size.
Phlashman

Post by Phlashman »

void wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:45 pm I will add path searching support to Find and select, so you can find and select all your files on your H: drive.

Selecting via path H: does not select "file 0" in the first group in the example above, the first group "file 0" is in drive I:?
mnicolau

Post by mnicolau »

Phlashman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:54 pm

Selecting via path H: does not select "file 0" in the first group in the example above, the first group "file 0" is in drive I:?
Some groups of files are on the same drive or in the same folder with different names
void
Developer

Post by void »

The first file shown in each group will depend on your sort.

When using dupesize:, your results will be sorted by size, then name, then path.
Results will be grouped by size, then the first name sorted file will be the first file in the group.
If the names are the same, then the first path sorted file will be the first file in the group.

To select the first file in each group:
  • From the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Results tab on the left.
  • Uncheck clear selection on search.
  • Include the following in your search:
    distinct:size
  • For example:
    dupesize: distinct:size
  • Select all results.
  • Remove distinct:size from your search:
    dupesize:
  • The first item in each group will be selected.
Everything doesn't have a way to select the first item from each group in a single pass.
I will consider an option to do this.

What are you doing with this selection?
mnicolau

Post by mnicolau »

void wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:06 pm The first file shown in each group will depend on your sort.

When using dupesize:, your results will be sorted by size, then name, then path.
Results will be grouped by size, then the first name sorted file will be the first file in the group.
If the names are the same, then the first path sorted file will be the first file in the group.

To select the first file in each group:
  • From the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Results tab on the left.
  • Uncheck clear selection on search.
  • Include the following in your search:
    distinct:size
  • For example:
    dupesize: distinct:size
  • Select all results.
  • Remove distinct:size from your search:
    dupesize:
  • The first item in each group will be selected.
Everything doesn't have a way to select the first item from each group in a single pass.
I will consider an option to do this.

What are you doing with this selection?
This solution worked perfectly. Thanks!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1372a adds support for matching paths in find and select when using drive letters and a colon (:)

For example:

h:

Everything already had support for path matching when using / or \

For example:

h:\

I have also added a Match path option if you wanted to select any string inside the full path and name.

I have also added a Match whole words option.