Any idea what 0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0 is?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
harryray2

Any idea what 0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0 is?

Post by harryray2 »

Looking at my Internet connections, a local and remote address of:
0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0
Has appeared. Any idea what this is please?
On one of the connections, instead of a number, CIFS is showing, I've no idea what this is either.

Address connection.jpg
Address connection.jpg (83.82 KiB) Viewed 877 times
harryray2

Re: Any idea what 0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0 is?

Post by harryray2 »

I just noticed that it's 0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0.com, the .com bit got chopped off.

What I don't understand is why it's showing as a local, and a remote address.
void
Developer

Re: Any idea what 0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0 is?

Post by void »

Check if you are resolving:

0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0.com

to:

localhost

in your hosts file.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, Indeed I am, but it's strange, as this is also happens when I run Tor, which ignores the hosts file.
But the main thing that baffles me is why this has suddenly appeared, and why my computer is trying to connect to it.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Windows is not likely connecting to 0-0--------0.com

It's just Resource Manager being weird where the reverse DNS lookup for ::1 or 127.0.0.1 resolves to 0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0.com when it is present in your hosts file.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Doesn't Tor normally bypass the hosts file?
void
Developer

Post by void »

That looks like the Windows Resource Manager in your screenshot.

Resource Manager will resolve ::1 or 127.0.0.1 to 0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0.com if it is present in your hosts file.

This doesn't have anything to do with TOR.
This isn't an outgoing connection.
It's a connection using the loopback adapter.

The Resource Manager is incorrectly reporting the address.

The following from a command prompt will show the correct address:
netstat -abn

You should see firefox.exe using a bunch of 127.0.0.1 connections.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

David, on the subject of Tor, do you have any idea of a way to get Tor to respect the hosts file, rather than bypass it?
I don't rally use Tor for privacy as such, but more of a way to access some sites that are blocked when using my usual Firefox browser.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Just change (add) the first line in your hosts file to something else, like "localhost" with whatever null IP the rest of your hosts file is using.
kazzybash

Post by kazzybash »

harryray2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:41 pm Looking at my Internet connections, a local and remote address of:
0-0-----------------------------------------------------------0
Has appeared. Any idea what this is please?
On one of the connections, instead of a number, CIFS is showing, I've no idea what this is either.

Address connection.jpg
what kind of console/program is in use here (the screendump I mean)? Kind regards, Kazzy
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

kazzybash wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:58 pm what kind of console/program is in use here (the screendump I mean)? Kind regards, Kazzy
My guess (maybe wrong) is CurrPorts by NirSoft.
kazzybash

Post by kazzybash »

thanks a bunch. Downloaded and in use :)