Word in an RTF file not found

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
abr01

Word in an RTF file not found

Post by abr01 »

I just came across a word, that my content search won't find in an RTF file. The file type is included in 'index file content', and another search term from the same file is found. That's strange. I am re-indexing now, but i did that the night before already. How can words slip through? Is it maybe, because there was a full stop '.' right after it?
void
Developer

Re: Word in an RTF file not found

Post by void »

Check the content Everything is reading with:

*.rtf addcolumn:a a:=$content:
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

abr01 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:50 pm How can words slip through? Is it maybe, because there was a full stop '.' right after it?
No, that's no problem.
I have many indexed RTF files with no problem to find words with a full stop after them.

Post by abr01 »

void wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:51 am Check the content Everything is reading with:

addcolumn:a a:=$content:
Where? Into the search field? Replacing a line in the filter? I have no idea where to past that command into.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

abr01 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:40 pm Where? Into the search field? Replacing a line in the filter? I have no idea where to past that command into.
Append Void's string to your existing search string as shown below:-
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (96.59 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Don't do what I did: paste it into the search box as the only item.
(I stopped it after the content of the first couple of hundred files had been displayed!)
Hope this helps
Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:51 am Check the content Everything is reading with: addcolumn:a a:=$content:
What would be really cool/neat, a preface to every other post in the Everything Forums, would be an in-context display, such as in the original IBM KWIC

In my example posted in response to abr01, my column would display, say, 80 characters centred on the string "Governor"
Unt2itled.png
Unt2itled.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Would I be pushing my luck if I enquired about the possibility of prefacing the ColumnA with a Count of occurrences of the string within each found document?

Would I be pushing my luck even further if I enquired about the possibility of the user specifying the number of characters preceding the displayed in-context content ("Governor" in my examples)

And how far out of line would I be if I enquired about the possibility of the user specifying a few more bells and whistles that I am too afraid to mention, unless prompted? :twisted:

Thank you :D
Chris
abr01

Post by abr01 »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:28 pm
abr01 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:40 pm Where? Into the search field? Replacing a line in the filter? I have no idea where to past that command into.
Append Void's string to your existing search string as shown below:-Untitled.pngDon't do what I did: paste it into the search box as the only item.
(I stopped it after the content of the first couple of hundred files had been displayed!)
Hope this helps
Chris
No, that search term is still not found. Funny thing, i can find other words from the same document. Note, that i use a filter already, to find that file inside an RTF. Not sure, if that works with that line in combination with the filter.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Please try the following:

- set the current filter to Everything
- Put the following search in the search bar

Code: Select all

"C:\path to\your\problematic_file.rtf"    addcolumn:a a:=$content:
What is shown in Column A? Does your word show up?
abr01

Post by abr01 »

No, it doesn't show up. And if i use another word, that is in the text, the whole text content of the RTF will be shown in column A, as i can tell by the mouseover info tip. Once i use the original search term, which in this case is 'gua sha', nothing will be displayed. I will be able to check this on a different machine with a freshly indexed Everyting 1.5 Alpha. Should it fail, i would upload that file for you guys to run a test.

I also tried to copy the search term directly, in case some very similar looking characters were used, but that wasn't the case. Thanks!
abr01

Post by abr01 »

Could it be, that just searching for

gua sha

(two single search terms in the content search box ) simply isn't appropriate? Seems, like we sometmes have to place < > around the search terms? Because now i can find that search words in the Content search. But in other cases, just using both search terms is enough.

Sorry for the confusion. It seems, like i need to use brackets in the filter functions.
abr01

Post by abr01 »

Another observation:

I ran a test on the same document searching for a combination, that is included, 'decrease sebum'. Which was giving me the correct RTF, but also a bunch of other documents, which seemed suspiscious to me, since i wouldn't expect the very rare word 'sebum' to be found in science fiction novels.

And sure enough, there was only a reference to the first search term in those results. Is this a glitch? Or is there an explicite syntax for this case?

EDIT/ i found the reason. The other documents contain the word goosebumps! That explains it. Got to learn much more about exact syntax quirks in Everything. :lol:
void
Developer

Post by void »

The content search syntax is:

*.rtf content:"abc 123"

Use double quotes to match literal spaces.

*.rtf content:<abc 123>
*.rtf content:abc content:123

The space is the AND operator.
Use < and > for grouping.

*.rtf content:<abc|123>
*.rtf content:abc|content:123

The | is the OR operator.
abr01

Post by abr01 »

Thanks void. I will collect the most important syntaxes in a text file from now on.