Preview Panel, show selected folders contents

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
crimzind

Preview Panel, show selected folders contents

Post by crimzind »

I think it'd be nice if there were an option for the Preview Panel to be able to show the contents of a selected folder, instead of just the folder's thumbnail (with it's previews).
Even more awesome if it also had the dropdown to filter file types, and you could select files from that preview.
Something like this…
NotNull

Re: Preview Panel, show selected folders contents

Post by NotNull »

Everything uses the system (=Windows) to show the previews.
There might be an existing preview handler that shows the content of folders out there already.
If you can find it, install it and Everything will show the content of folders in the preview pane.

(I did a superficial search for such a previews handler 2 years ago, but could not find one. Things might have changed in the meantime though)
tuska

Post by tuska »

Just a note:
For Total Commander there is the plugin "DirSizeCalc Charts".

See also:
DirSizeCalc Charts 1.10 (Lister plugin) (!)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

.. and htmlview (lists files/folders, without the size calculation stuff)

For others: Both are viewers (for Total Commander), so unfortunately not usable in the preview panes of Explorer and Everything.
crimzind

Post by crimzind »

Hmm. I guess the closest implementation would be kind of an… embedded tab?
It'd basically function like another tab in Everything, the (hidden) search bar would just be auto-populated by the address of the current/last selected folder.

Probably harder to implement than I'm thinking, or not enough demand to justify the time. :P
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I think what might help is a second Folder Bar. When wishing to explore an item you could drag it to the titlebar of either or have two shortcut keys, one to explore in folder bar 1, another to explore in folder bar 2, this would help when working with two folders. Probably also a shortcut-action to select the folder bar 1 or 2 for subsequent commands to consider its target (if the command doesn't have an explicit Folder Bar target) until changed (reset on program open). The current workaround is to have two explorer windows open side by side, but isn't so smooth in regards to having a shortcut that will explore an item in the second folder bar, you drag it across the windows. I think the reality is people often have quite wide screens, and a second (or more) folder bar would make use of the screen width. Mostly I'm using 3 folder bars myself, by tiling Explorer windows. d
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

meteorquake wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:34 am I think what might help is a second Folder Bar. When wishing to explore an item you could drag it to the titlebar of either or have two shortcut keys, one to explore in folder bar 1, another to explore in folder bar 2, this would help when working with two folders. Probably also a shortcut-action to select the folder bar 1 or 2 for subsequent commands to consider its target (if the command doesn't have an explicit Folder Bar target) until changed (reset on program open). The current workaround is to have two explorer windows open side by side, but isn't so smooth in regards to having a shortcut that will explore an item in the second folder bar, you drag it across the windows. I think the reality is people often have quite wide screens, and a second (or more) folder bar would make use of the screen width. Mostly I'm using 3 folder bars myself, by tiling Explorer windows. d
Why not switching to a 3rd party file manager ?
The whole topic is solved in many of them.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Everything does many things other file managers can't or do with difficulty, though I've not looked at them in a good while. d
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

meteorquake wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:36 pm Everything does many things other file managers can't or do with difficulty, though I've not looked at them in a good while. d
File managers like Total Commander or Directory Opus have a full integration of Everything
so you have the best solution depending on the problem to solve.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I've just installed Total Commander and looked through the menus and options but it looks a huge step backwards from how I'm using Everything. I'll look at the Opus one later though...
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

meteorquake wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:08 pm I've just installed Total Commander and looked through the menus and options but it looks a huge step backwards from how I'm using Everything. I'll look at the Opus one later though...
You have the full search support in Total Commander for files and folders.
You can also can enter the full Everything search syntax and functions into the TC search field.
We even use a script which show the full Everything GUI results into a TC window.
What are you missing ?
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Sorry I didn't spot those extra questions.
It's because Everything does so much more than search, but is a whole thing of many useful features.
As an extremely simple example, I can have certain files come out different colours based on a formula. So in my photos when a photo transitions more than 15 mins from a previous photo, it glows red, and this separates out groups of photos. (To prevent videos being accidentally deleted because they look like a blurry photo, I have them show as blue.)
I have a .bat file that launches 3 Everything windows in exactly the right tiled configuration, 70% of the screen left hand, the right hand divided into 2 search panes, started in the right internal states so I can work with three searches on 1 screen.
The useful aspects of Everything beyond searching would be hard to enumerate because there are so many.
David
tuska

Post by tuska »

2meteorquake
Thank you for your prompt answer to my question asked here.

It originally looked to me as if there was something wrong with the Total Commander integration of Everything.
Now I see that you have already built special solutions in Everything.

Thanks again for your reply! :)