File Right-Click Menu

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

File Right-Click Menu

Post by meteorquake »

The problem I always face is that most of the entries on a right-click are junk I'll never or rarely use, inherited from Explorer. It always makes right-clicks a painful experience.
I seem to remember you said it was a bit out of your control in that you provided extra entries and explorer did the rest.
I wonder though if there's scope for ditching the explorer menu and just providing your own (much as any other context menu in Explorer) in a way that can be customised with commands. Basically I think that would take the form of a list of Commands, and then placing those Commands against extensions in an ordered list (and maybe extension groups). So for example you'd have a command called Sumatra and another called Foxit and against .pdf one would assign both Sumatra and Foxit, and for .djvu just Sumatra. An extension group could be made called Images comprised of various extensions, and then against Images one would assign XNView and IrfanView. Against individual .jpg perhaps one also has JPGtran and that would combine on the Images group entries through some formula, I don't think there's too much concern what the formula is, the main thing is to get rid of the large number of Explorer entries I (and presumably others) only occasionally use. Perhaps an option to enable such a menu.
Then, shift right-click could provide the normal Shift-Rightclick-Explorer menu for whenever it is occasionally wanted...
David
void
Developer

Re: File Right-Click Menu

Post by void »

I will consider an option to hide context menu shell extensions.
Thank you for the suggestion.

To disable context menu shell extensions:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> context_menu_shell_extensions -> set value to false
You can setup a bookmark to toggle this setting and bind a keyboard shortcut.

To customize the context menu, please see Custom Open Commands.
A UI to do this is on my TODO list.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Re: File Right-Click Menu

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

meteorquake wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:12 am The problem I always face is that most of the entries on a right-click are junk I'll never or rarely use, inherited from Explorer. It always makes right-clicks a painful experience
[...]
My remedy is o use REG hacks on a per program basis. I have a whole folder of my own personal Shell Menu Cleanup and Shell Menu Tweaks files that I collected over the years and use on every new Windows I install, so that all programs utilizing its shell menus would be affected altogether