Toggling between two window sizes

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
meteorquake

Toggling between two window sizes

Post by meteorquake »

There's a particular situation that comes up a lot where I toggle Everything (by double-clicking the titlebar) between maximised (sorting files out) where I want the folder bar and any preview pane to be showing, and normalised (small window, dragging items one by one into another application) where I want folder bar and preview to hide otherwise the results list will be hidden by the size of those side elements.
I think what it means is that fundamentally the view that's set up for a certain large size (maximised or not) is often not appropriate for a greatly smaller size, but slight adjustments to size are not a problem.
I wonder therefore if there could be a little bit of intelligence put in, perhaps with an option to enable it. It would probably take a few iterations with user feedback to get right as there are probably a number of ways to resolve the problem, but at a minimum I would think that if after a resize the folder bar is dominant over the results list when it wasn't before there's probably a need to hide the folder bar or make it narrow. Now that I think about it, the user can also resolve it by having two identical windows open, one large, one small, and switch between them for the different tasks, but the basic premise is I think still viable regarding greatly resizing down needing some kind of automatic layout adjustment.
Also I seem to remember there may have been a way to have the Folder Bar hidden or narrow, and to pop it open by dragging something to where it ought to be - if anyone can remind me! Or perhaps that was just an idea? if absent, that would be quite useful too.
David
void
Developer

Re: Toggling between two window sizes

Post by void »

Saving and restoring views is on my TODO list.

For now, please consider the following bookmark search:

/maximized=!maximized;left_sidebar_wide=maximized?320:64

Opening this bookmark will toggle the maximized state and adjust the left sidebar width.

Search commands
vertigo

Re: Toggling between two window sizes

Post by vertigo »

The preview pane wouldn't even need to be switched on and off if the logic controlling its size was different. Right now, if I have a restored window (normal size) and activate the preview pane and drag it over to the far right so I can see the normal columns (left pane), where the preview pane is (mostly) outside the viewable area, when I maximize Everything the columns still take up roughly the same percentage, even though there's no need with all that additional space, and there's an empty column at the end that takes up all that extra space. So I have to resize the preview pane so it's as large as possible, being next to the last column (drag the resize border all the way to the left just until a horizontal scrollbar appears at the bottom of the left pane, then move it slightly to the right so the scrollbar goes away). But then, when restoring the window again, it favors the preview pane, so that it takes up almost the entire window, leaving just a sliver on the left for the left pane.

So basically, if maximizing, the preview pane should stay as close to the left pane as it's set to be when restored, without showing that extra, null column, and when restoring, it should place the left edge of the left pane at the left edge of the window and display the left pane at its full width, only showing as much of the preview pane as will fit in any remaining space, i.e. the left pane should always maintain the same width and visibility.