Double-key shortcuts

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Double-key shortcuts

Post by meteorquake »

As the number of key-assignable commands and filters increases there's definitely in my mind a need for double-key shortcuts.
So then things can be much more intuitive, using letters that match the concept.
For example (to illustrate the principle) people might have Ctrl-S N to sort by name, Ctrl-S M to sort by modified, Ctrl-S S to sort by size. For something like filters, this will be even more useful.
Currently shortcut keys are a case of picking whatever keys are not currently in use, which can be a bit random, and/or limiting assignment to the priority commands.
In saying this, single keys are also available to assign where people wish it, merely that where shortcuts define a second key, then on pressing the first (Ctrl-S in the above examples) it will then wait a moment (e.g. 1.5 secs, with a general option to customise how long) for the second key and time-off if it doesn't arrive appropriately. Obviously for any first key it wouldn't make sense to mix-and match, so if Ctrl-S had two-key combinations set as per example, then Ctrl-S itself ought to become unavailable.
Cheers, David
void
Developer

Re: Double-key shortcuts

Post by void »

I will consider double key shortcuts.

Thank you for the suggestion.

For now, please consider binding Ctrl + S to View | Sort By | Other...
This will show the select property dialog.
Select a property and click OK to set your sort.

Please try Ctrl + K to select a filter.

Maybe these dialogs need some built-in keyboard shortcuts? or an option to pin items somehow.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I have Ctrl-S itself currently linked to the Advanced Sort. The availability of double-keys naturally would be to make everything silent and more intuitive, as I do find myself advanced popups are less often used than they might.
Conceptually the filter boxes work well with the shortcut route they provide
* But I do think the Find Filter and Organise Filter boxes could be combined into a single one by adding a find to the Organise. Alt-E works to Edit any item, and it could be that after the first use of Edit the double-clicks do an Edit rather than Run. When Search has been used the reordering would need to be disabled but the Editing would still be allowed. Even bigger problem is the need for the Filter droplist at the end of the search bar to show wide (to match the content width) whatever the size of the undropped box. At the moment a narrow box leads to a narrow droplist, so on small windows you have to widen it, choose the filter, and make it narrow again.
I was unsure what you had in mind with pinning items though! It may be the most commonly used ones could have a symbol against them so the eye catches them more quickly, or (after a certain number of entries have been defined) be repeated at the top of the list with a divider then the full list. The Filters menu itself (rather than the dialog or droplist) could likewise show the most commonly and most recently used ones first and where there are a lot of filters have a submenu for them all, perhaps two columns wide to double the number, as the menu list of Filters can be rather long though I dare say you may go on to folderise them like bookmarks which would also work if folders appear as submenus and would enable people to manually solve the question of a long list...
Cheers!
David
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

meteorquake wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:36 pm As the number of key-assignable commands and filters increases there's definitely in my mind a need for double-key shortcuts.
David you may find interest in this thread Cheers, Chris