Manual word similarity, abbreviation list feature

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
user123

Manual word similarity, abbreviation list feature

Post by user123 »

I would like to suggest adding something that allows a user to enter certain search terms in a list and their related terms in order to search files of similar file names.

For example, I would like to use a term "NYC" to include results containing "new york city", "new york" as well, and opposite, when searching for "new york city" files that contain abbreviation "NYC" to be found.

"Netherlands" would find words containing also "Nederlands" (same meaning).
"UK" would find filenames containing "United Kingdom", etc.

Made a quick sketch

I know OR (|) operator can be used (nyc|"new york city"|"new york"), but it's too time consuming and reduces productivity overall (to type all that every time I need to find something quickly).
Last edited by user123 on Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
void
Developer

Re: Manual word similarity, abbreviation feature

Post by void »

Synonym lists are on my TODO list.

Thank you for the suggestion.
user123

Re: Manual word similarity, abbreviation list feature

Post by user123 »

Wow that was a quick response. Thanks.
nikov

Re: Manual word similarity, abbreviation list feature

Post by nikov »

I liked the way a quick sketch for a UI has been made too. :)
And yes, this can be a useful feature. And this maybe sort of search engines do.
And it will be nice if this is also implemented for content search too.
This feature may decrease the speed of search, in such case I assume an indicator by statusbar or somewhere changing the color can be helpful.
Also, different highlight color for the match part if matched by a synonym would be nice too.
Also, this can be used as an important user dictionary as well. Such as, it can be used to make a red squiggly underline when user misspells any synonym terms or at least when no search result is found or when search is taking long time, and to suggest corrections for the misspelling when right clicking the term.

Thank you.