Folder path being treated as disk when no subfolder provided

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
powershellscripter

Folder path being treated as disk when no subfolder provided

Post by powershellscripter »

Everything 1.5a ..1367

Digging into the ini file to create custom settings upon install, when the [folders= ] is set to a volume letter without a subfolder, it gets treated like a disk instead of a custom folder path.

Example:
folders=%USERPROFILE%,E:\

Even though E: is specified with the "\" at the end, its treated like a disk drive as fails to scan as it shows as an "offline disk"
However, if I add another "\" (E:\\), it treats it like an actual folder path instead of a disk drive.

But what gets weirder is that after I exit, I go back into the .ini file and Everything has removed the first "\". But going back into everyhting, it still finds the path and treats it like a folder. Then if I exit AGAIN, it again removes the other "\" (at which point im left with "E:"), but it still finds the path each time it opens now.

So, if I add it as E: or E:\, its doesnt like that, but adding it as E:\\, it will treat it as an actual folder path but then also eventually remove both "\" from the ini path.

Any idea what could be causing this?

P.S. The folder path in question isnt a disk drive, nor is it a mapped drive, its a hybrid (special drives created to do this for the client used), which is why Everything cant do auto discovery on it
void
Developer

Re: Folder path being treated as disk when no subfolder provided

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report powershellscripter,

I am curious to know more about your E: drive...

Everything will remove the trailing \ on root paths in your Everything.ini

E:\ => E:

The UI will show root paths with a trailing \

E: => E:\

Everything will treat E: as a drive and E:\folder or E:\\ as a folder.

Everything will try to determine if the drive is online when scanning.
This is failing.
I would love to know the error code so I can make Everything continue scanning this drive for you.
Could you please send a debug log:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab.
  • Setup Everything to index your E: drive ( as E:\ )
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, check Start Debug Logging.
    ---
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.
    ---
    Wait for the rebuild to complete -progress is shown in the status bar at the bottom.
    ---
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Stop Debug Logging.
    The Everything Debug Log will open in Notepad.
  • Please save this file to the Desktop and send to support@voidtools.com
    Privacy
powershellscripter

Re: Folder path being treated as disk when no subfolder provided

Post by powershellscripter »

Sorry for the super late response. We deployed our cloud solution alongside the everything tool and ran into a MASSIVE performance hit, which ended up being due to Everything. Because of it being a live connection, Everything was trying to index the subfolders and because everyone's system was doing the same thing, it hammers the responsiveness of the cloud solution.

No direct fault of Everything, its still an amazing tool, its just the way it was implemented caused a ton of chaos lol. So now im gonna have to setup everything on one of our servers and connect directly to the S3 storage backend and create a db that way and then write a script that everyone's system pulls a copy of that db then opens it in a new instance and in read-only.

Since we cant add multiple db to one everything instance, I will have to create an instance for each folder it searches in the E: drive and people will just have to have multiple instances of read-only everything running.