About File Lists

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
koolestani

About File Lists

Post by koolestani »

I was interested in creating a File List to refer to as a catalog in lieu of another software (called WinCatalog, I grew tired of it's clunky interface and poor search results).

So, before diving in, I looked up the process that needs to be followed to create one, and more importantly how to update it whenever I want to. I found a section title "Update a file list with the Task Scheduler" which I personally would say is a bit cumbersome than I would like.

But then I found out that there is another way.
In the menu bar, go to Tools > File List Editor
The File List Editor window opens up (btw a slight inconsistency, this window doesn't follow the dark theme I have set for Everything)
In this windows menu bar, go to File > Open
Browse to you .efu file and open it.
When it's opened, go to Tools > Update

Ok, so the suggestion is that whole File List thing seems to a bit confusing in it's current state.
Can it be condensed down into the regular Everything window?
Perhaps the menu bar can change when we enter the File List Editor "mode" instead of launching a new window?

And the steps I mentioned above seem to be a little over designed. As a first instinct I fully expected the Update option to be present in the menu bar of the regular Everything window that lauched when I clicked the .efu file in Windows Explorer. Then I checked under Index menu. Then just to exhaust every possible option that might be considered relevant did I think to open up the File List Editor and take a thorough look at it's menu.
void
Developer

Re: About File Lists

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback.

Everything File lists are currently designed to be static (unchanging) lists of filenames.

Can it be condensed down into the regular Everything window?
I will consider merging the main search window and the file list editor and using a File List Editor mode.

Thank you for the suggestion.

For now, you can right-click EFU files and click Edit to launch the File List Editor.
NotNull

Re: About File Lists

Post by NotNull »

If you don't see the Edit context mnenu entry: EFU file association must be enabled for that.
(Menu => Tools => Options => General)